    Doc Guest

    The title pretty much says it. Do any P4's say faster than 1 gig use PC-133
    Ram? Or was that left behind with PIII's?

    Doc, Jun 7, 2006

  2. Doc

    paulmd Guest

    Yes. Up to about 1.5 ghz i've seen. There's a lot of transonial boards
    in that range that support ddr and pc133 (though not sumultaneously).

    paulmd, Jun 7, 2006

  3. Dimm support is specific to chipsets not CPUs. E.g. Intel's Brookdale
    chipset (i845) supported PC133 memory and P4's way above 1GHz.

    Jack F. Twist, Jun 7, 2006
  4. It's the motherboard that'll determine that and there were a few, but not
    many. All in socket 478, I think.

    A quick check on pricewatch brought up a DFI-NB72-SC for $39 that says
    "Supported Intel Pentium 4 400 MHz FSB 1.5/ 1.6/ 1.7 / 1.8/ 1.9 /2.0n /2.2
    GHz. up to 3 GB RAM (PC100/PC133) -SDRAM MEMRY SUPPORT"

    David Maynard, Jun 7, 2006
  5. Doc

    Paul Guest

    I have a board with a P4 1.8GHz and 3x512MB of PC133 :) Works fine.
    The chipset used for that was 845 Brookdale from Intel. I believe
    the fastest processor ever used in the board, would be a
    2.8GHz/FSB400 processor. The machine would still be good enough
    today as a surf/email machine.

    To find exotic technology combos, you can use the search engine here.
    I was surprised how many 845 based boards are listed here:

    http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/index.html

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 7, 2006
  6. ive got a 478 p4 running @ 2Ghz with 4 sdram pc133

    Dark Warrior_, Jun 7, 2006
  7. Doc

    sbb78247 Guest

    one of the original 845 intel sets that supported socket 478 did this. at
    the time there were both versions of the 845 out one supported ddr the other
    sdr. asus p4b and p4pe are examples of this

    sbb78247, Jun 7, 2006
  8. Doc

    Ben Myers Guest

    Intel, Asus, DFI and others made motherboards with 845 chipsets and usually 3
    DIMM sockets permitting up to 1.5GB of memory. The Socket 478 processors in
    these boards are limited to 400MHz front-side bus, so the fastest possible CPU
    is either a 2.4GHz (maybe 2.5 or 2.6?) Pentium 4 or a 2.7GHz (maybe 2.8?)
    Celeron. In some of these boards, the BIOS may limit the maximum processor
    speed... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 7, 2006
  9. Doc

    DaveW Guest

    You are correct. Time to upgrade.

    DaveW, Jun 8, 2006
  10. Doc

    paulmd Guest

    Any Pentuim class machine will still do that. If you want video, you'll
    want a p2 at least. The kicker is you need to get at least 128 MB ram
    in order for the perfomance to be OK.

    And I saw a 17 year old mac actually go online. (Slow, even on
    broadband, The graphics rendering was a major bottleneck).
    The oddest one I've heard about is the dual celeron board. I acutally
    know a fellow who has one.

    paulmd, Jun 8, 2006
  11. Doc

    Quaoar Guest

    Good on you. Go to www.intel.com, download the chipset ID utility, go
    from there.

    Quaoar, Jun 8, 2006
  12. it failed to work for me, unable to detect. what was it you wanted to know?

    m/b ECS Skt 478 (Prescott) ATX, 648FX-A2

    Dark Warrior_, Jun 8, 2006
  13. Doc

    kony Guest

    Instead of posting to an excessive number of newsgroups you
    might consider using a search engine- this is readily
    available information.

    kony, Jun 11, 2006
  14. Doc

    sbb78247 Guest

    wouldn't know about that, is that your job or have you moved up to pay per
    view web cams

    sbb78247, Jun 11, 2006
  15. Doc

    sbb78247 Guest

    isn't a 648 chipset SiS? <shudders> That might be why the INTEL CHIPSET
    IDENTIFIER UTILITY did not work.

    sbb78247, Jun 12, 2006
  16. Doc

    Doc Guest

    Odd that you suddenly take issue with this after having participated in
    several prior threads with the same number of groups.

    Btw, they've repealed the law requiring you to read all threads.

    Doc, Jun 13, 2006
  17. Doc

    John Doe Guest

    nym shifting troll

    See also (in order of appearance):
    dead_man_walking <none invalid.net>
    -nos1eep <nos1eep_says_GFIA mail2southpole.com>
    nos1eep <>
    nos1eep <*@mail.com>
    "nos1eep" <No>
    "nos1eep" <>
    "nos1eep" <>
    "NoS1eep" <>
    "NoSleep" <>

    John Doe, Jun 13, 2006
  18. Doc

    kony Guest

    Not at all odd, I mention these things every now and then
    at random instead of making it an obsession. While I may
    reply to some of the treads, others I don't participate in.

    Pretty foolish to think it's the same thing posting to one
    where I merely didn't choose to limit the groups, as
    actively STARTING the thread where one DOES have to
    actively choose all those groups.

    BTW, if you can't understand the what and why of usenet
    etiquette, you'll just look all the more stupid trying to
    be flippant about a mistake you have made.

    Do you know why usenet works? Because everyone doesn't post
    their topic to every single group that is loosely related.
    It would inundate many groups with far too many posts and
    create a mess that actually reduced the average quality of
    replies. Even in your relatively short thread, half the
    posts were troll related.

    kony, Jun 13, 2006
  19. Doc

    Doc Guest

    Actually, I think it is.
    You've actually made numerous posts in several threads I recently started.
    Sure do. Largely unfettered access. That means the annoyance of putting up
    with a certain amount of noise such as flame wars and pissy self-appointed
    netkops. That time of the month?
    Nothing "loosely related" about the groups I chose. Logic dictates getting
    it in front of as many eyes as possible, in this case groups where I deemed
    it likely folks would have experience/interest in computer hardware a/or
    repair. Appears to work too since I got a lot of quality responses.

    I obviously think my choice of groups is reasonable, but if you disagree
    with my choice, the solution for you is incredibly simple - don't read the
    thread, don't participate. I can tell you exactly how far your trying to
    "correct" me is going to get you.
    As is obvious to anyone who frequents newsgroups, thread drift and people
    getting into pissing contests over side issues or the favorite "you don't
    know what the hell you're talking about/screw you you don't know what you're
    talking about and btw your mother is a whore" is part of the landscape
    whether the topic is posted to one or ten groups.

    Of course, many regard a "troll" as someone who makes a post that's just
    noise and adds nothing informational, you know, like pointless whining about
    which groups someone has chosen to post to.

    Doc, Jun 13, 2006
  20. Doc

    kony Guest

    What do we care if you think it's odd or not?

    Then all the more appropriate that something is said about
    excessive cross-posting.

    No, it works because of high SNR, and diversion of high
    volumes of information into appropriate channels.

    BS

    sci.electronics.repair is not even close to related, nor is
    a Compaq group unless it's a Compaq which you make no
    mention of.

    Actually none of the groups were appropriate since this is
    information readily available if you had bothered to use a
    search engine. Surely you are aware of search engines, and
    that it is bad form to ask basic questions that would take
    no more time to answer yourself, than to have others answer
    for you then read through.

    No, logic dictates that this creates a mess, trolling,
    arguments between those actually knowledgeable about a topic
    and those with only a passing familiarity, and in general
    wastes peoples' time and bandwidth in addition to being an
    addition burden on news servers.

    In short, you're selfishness was perceived to benefit you
    but ultimately your ignorance resulted in it being more of a
    burden than just using a search engine. Further, if you
    can't expect to get the right answer in the most appropriate
    one or two newsgroups, odds are that you don't actually have
    the most appropriate group, NOT that you need to cross post
    to a half dozen or more of them which are clearly less
    appropriate.

    Actually if you want I'll help you learn how to post
    correctly. You seem to need it.

    If you had been on usenet a bit longer you would recognize
    that you didn't actually get many posts at all considering
    the number of groups. A single post to the most appropriate
    group or two would tend to generate the correct answer- and
    that is what it's all about, a few quality replies instead
    of the gross # of replies.

    So far you have already demonstrated inability to even do a
    web search for basic information... anything but impressive.
    You'll get all the help you need because that's what usenet
    is all about and you clearly demonstrate that you need LOTS
    and LOTS of help.

    Actually it's more common when someone excessively
    cross-posts, BY FAR.

    If you weren't stupid, you'd realize that far more than
    needing to know about a motherboard, you need to first know:

    How to use a search engine to find information.
    How to use usenet most effectively while not impinging on
    it's performance as a whole.

    If you had a little depth of though on the issue you would
    see that if everyone posted as you do, your message would
    have been lost in many hundreds to thousands of posts per
    day per group. Not so likely to be read at all but those
    who gave you helpful replies.

    You want your posts to be the exception, you feel that it's
    ok to do for your own benefit what would clearly be
    problematic if everyone did it, and all out of laziness, for
    a basic question that Google/etc could resolve. It's
    pathetic.

    kony, Jun 13, 2006