    http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryId=2585864&dualCurrId=73&catalogId=-840

    How would you use a Console cable if your laptop only had a USB port
    <grin>? Is there a USB to console cable device?

    jaarons, Dec 11, 2003

  2. jaarons

    SP Guest

    We ran into this, one of our new laptops did not have a DB9 port. We
    purchased a USB to DB9 adapter and everything worked fine.

    SP, Dec 11, 2003

  3. jaarons

    Sean Guest

    On the contrary, most laptops ONLY have USB.
    You can buy a USB->Serial adapter though. Find them at the usual places :
    CompUSA, BestBuy, etc.

    Sean, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Just be aware that not all USB to serial dongles support OS's other than
    Windows, nor do all support proper generation of break (and why else
    would you need a console cable :)

    Good luck and have fun!

    Vincent C Jones, Dec 11, 2003
  5. jaarons

    chris Guest

    As an example of this, I tried to get an IOGear GUC-232a (I think)
    usb->serial converter working under RedHat9. Kudzu detected it
    properly and set it up, but it just wouldn't send data.

    -Chris

    chris, Dec 12, 2003