    software just to see the image, .TIFF is much more widely used, and
    'standard', but .jpg is most common, and easiest to deal with, and
    transport.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 28, 2004

  2. me6

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Only rarely would I save in .TIFF, or RAW, but would like to have the
    option.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 28, 2004

  3. me6

    Martin Brown Guest

    Get a camera that offers a RAW mode. You then need a fancy driver to
    read the files, but they are typically one half or one third the size of
    a TIFF.

    Saving TIFF files is mainly a marketing feature and the manufacturers
    boast about how big the 24bit colour TIFF is without mentioning how many
    geological aeons you will need to wait for the thing to save it.

    The only benefit of TIFF is that no additional software is needed to see
    the images on the media. Taking 3x more pictures and 3x faster is
    usually more attractive in almost all cases. You pay for this later on
    the PC.

    Regards,

    Martin Brown, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Ron Hunter wrote:
    []
    I have never saved in RAW, but I agree it's a good option to have.

    It may slow down saving, and requires extra work in the computer, though.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Perhaps I should explain?

    At consumer Point & Shoot I really have no problems with JPEG although I do
    hope that the settings are quite good

    At cvlaimed DSLR level - well, this is different altogether. RAW output is
    good just to avoid the tweaks and twiddles put in there

    I am not too sure which file format is best for longevity. TIFF/ RAW? as
    I expect RAW will change with sensor to sensor, brand to brand, model to
    model.

    Maybe all 3? RAW, TIFF & JPEG? I make these comments with professional
    DSLR in mind as opposed to P&S

    Arts

    Arty Phacting, Jul 28, 2004
  6. me6

    JPS Guest

    In message <a_INc.9852$>,
    "David J Taylor"
    Taking basic advantage of the benefits of RAW is not a very complicated
    matter at all. Click in the photo on something white or grey for white
    balance, or move the color temperature slider; move the exposure slider
    so the image looks right, or so that it doesn't clip the highlights (to
    be adjusted with a curve in the converter, or another program).

    JPS, Jul 29, 2004