Do all dig cameras save in JPEG only?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by me6, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. me6

    me6 Guest

    Question for all you digital camera owners out.....

    Do all digital cameras save the file in some kind of
    loss less format like TIFF?

    Or do they only save them in JPEG format?

    OK.... here is the deal..... my sister GAVE me a
    digital camera. Yes gave me her old one as she bought a
    new one

    Here is the model she gave me

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/fuji1300.html

    Since this is my first dig camera ever Im a bit
    confused on how/what file formats they save in

    It appears that this camera ONLY saves in JPEG.....
    true?

    If yes..... it seems logical that I would want to
    convert the original shots from JPEG to TIFF..... and
    archive the TIFF files correct?

    Or would you just save the JPEGS..... and then convert
    to TIFF on the fly and as needed?

    me6, Jul 26, 2004

  2. me6

    Zebedee Guest

    Some cameras save in TIFF but this is regarded as being a pointless waste of
    space. Uncompressed JPEG takes up a lot less space. Typically a 1.3mb JPEG
    will be an 8mb TIFF file for no gain.

    Digital SLRs save in RAW format as well as JPEG. This has advantages for
    post photo editing but is manufacturer dependent. The Sigma SD10 is
    particularly problematic in this way as it only saves in RAW.

    The best way to make sure you never lose quality is to save in the camera's
    highest quality setting.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, Jul 26, 2004

  3. me6

    Doug Kanter Guest

    Simple answer (the only one I'm qualified to give so far): No. Some save
    only in JPG. I was just comparing models at the Olympus web site, so this is
    as much as I know so far.

    Doug Kanter, Jul 26, 2004
  4. me6

    Doug Kanter Guest

    No. Some save in TIFF as well.

    Doug Kanter, Jul 26, 2004
  5. me6

    Andy Fraser Guest

    In rec.photo.digital, uttered these immortal words:
    No. Some will also save in Tiff or some raw format or whatnot.
    I would say if you're not going to edit the picture keep it as a JPEG. JPEGs
    take up less space than Tiffs even if the Tiff is compressed.
    I keep all my pictures as JPEG unless I'm going to edit it. I then use Tiff
    or PSD as an intermediate format until I'm sure I've finished editing the
    picture at which point I save it back to JPEG and hang the extra loss in
    quality for the smaller file size. At least I'm lot losing any quality due
    to resaving as a JPEG at each stage of editing. I always keep the original
    just in case I need it again.

    Andy Fraser, Jul 26, 2004
  6. me6

    Bert Hyman Guest

    () wrote in
    Some do, some don't.

    My Canon A60 saves only in JPEG format. Higher-grade Canons can also
    save files in Canon's proprietary RAW format which they say is
    simply a dump of the data as captured by the camera. Canon provides
    utilities to convert from RAW to TIFF or JPEG, etc.

    Bert Hyman, Jul 26, 2004
  7. Some have options to save in TIFF or various RAW modes.
    And some do not.
    I tend to save everything in JPG format. I save the original image as it comes
    out of the camera, a large image suitable for printing after editing, and two
    sets of smaller images for web viewing (150x200 for thumbnail viewing and
    600x800 for more detailed viewing). This way, if I ever want to redo an edit,
    I can start over with the raw file, and go from there. If you are going to
    edit the file multiple times, you probably want to convert the file to a
    lossless format (tiff, png, or the photoshop internal format). You do want to
    save files with fairly low compression so that you are not adding artifacts
    with your editing. If you just convert the file to TIFF and save that, the
    only thing you are really doing is using more disk space, since you can't add
    information to the original picture, and any artifacts that the camera created
    with JPG compression is already present.

    Michael Meissner, Jul 26, 2004
  8. me6

    Matti Vuori Guest

    The problem is, no camera saves uncompressed JPEG's, and probably never
    will, because there is no such format. It would be rather pointless - the
    very idea of JPEG is compression, without that an uncompressed TIFF would
    work just as well. But there is a _lossless_ JPEG format, and no camera (to
    my knowledge) uses that either.

    Matti Vuori, Jul 26, 2004
  9. me6

    Zebedee Guest

    Tiff with lzw compression is lossless too.

    Zebedee, Jul 26, 2004
  10. Changing the file from .jpg to .tif can't make the image better, though it
    could make it worse (not likely). Just move the file from camera to
    computer without change. When you edit the file, save the changed image
    with a new name or in a different folder, so you can go back to the original
    if you wish. Storage space on a HD, CD or DVD is cheap these days.

    Marvin Margoshes, Jul 26, 2004
  11. me6

    Ron Hunter Guest

    First, many cameras output only JPEG format, but many others give you a
    choice of RAW, TIF, or JPG.

    Second, there is no benefit to be had by changing from .jpg files to
    ..tif files for archival purposes. TIF will just take up more disk space.

    For editing, you should preserve the original .jpg file, and during the
    editing process, work with either .TIF or another lossless storage
    method to avoid image degradadion from multiple saves which would happen
    if the intermediate edits were saved in .jpg format. Other than that,
    just stick with the .jpg format.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 26, 2004
  12. Have phun with your Phuji :)

    Image file formats are sorta complicated as in v-e-r-y complicated

    You have a good consumer camera at an excellent price [:)] and JPEG is
    really a consumer based image file system. TIFFs are more pro based image
    file systems

    RAW - well why call it that? Raw?
    Any data from any sensor has raw output - the output is uaually sent to a
    digital to analogue conertor (adc) [oops wrong way round] It does not
    matter if the sensor detects x-rays, BS or hog breath it usually has a RAW
    output option. Yoiu can tell the originality that engineers love :)

    the last time I used RAW output from my BS detector in this forum/ng the
    reading went off the scale - hee hee

    Arty

    Arty Phacting, Jul 26, 2004
  13. me6

    me Guest

    I keep all my pictures as JPEG unless I'm going to edit it. I then use Tiff
    OK

    Then you seem to be doing what I "thought" would be a
    good way to handle it..... but needed confirming from
    your pros out there

    To sum it up..... I will do the following:

    1. Save all pics in the cameras highest JPEG settings

    2. IF I need to edit a picture I will convert the JPEg
    to a TIFF and edit and play around with the TIFF only.

    3. Then....after editing.... I will re save that TIFF
    as another JPEG

    Bottom line..... best to create TIFFs on the fly from
    JPEGs if doing editing

    So...... is this best method? Make sense?

    me, Jul 27, 2004
  14. me6

    me Guest

    First, many cameras output only JPEG format, but many others give you a
    Understood.

    So what is usually done on those cameras that CAN save
    in TIFF or RAW? Are most people STILL saving in JPEG
    rather than TIFF even if their camera allows both?

    me, Jul 27, 2004
  15. me6

    me Guest

    Yes I do!! Free is good!! lol

    So you would save in TIFF if your camera output in both
    JPEG and TIFF?

    What would you do personally?

    Again..... my choice is made for me as my camera only
    saves in JPEG

    But what would I do if I should get a better camera
    someday that gives me options for both?

    me, Jul 27, 2004
  16. me6

    Andy Fraser Guest

    In rec.photo.digital, uttered these immortal words:
    Well I'm no expert. I just do what appears to me to be a good common sense
    way of doing it. :)
    Yep. It doesn't have to be Tiff BTW. It can be any loseless format.
    Yep, keeping the original just in case.
    Yep. There's no point in saving the intermediate images as JPEG because
    you're going to lose quality everytime you save. If you're like me you'll
    save before doing anything and it'll take days sometimes so you'll have to
    save every night. That's a lot of data and quality lost if you're using
    JPEGs all the way. :)
    I don't know whether it's the best way but it certainly makes sense to
    me. :)

    Andy Fraser, Jul 27, 2004
  17. The real neat trick is to grab data before the camera has a chance to to
    twiddle and tweak it.

    So, for moi, the really, really most important form of data output is: both.
    :)

    Arty

    Arty Phacting, Jul 27, 2004
  18. oops - I forgot to add this bit:

    There are so many different types of image files because they all have a
    slightly different job to do.

    TIFF is a good way to keep the data pure and sweet but costs by having large
    file size

    JPEG is a great way to send data over wires between computers because the
    image files are altered to fit some pragmatic approach to sending data over
    networks that most people can access easily

    Arts

    Arty Phacting, Jul 27, 2004
  19. On many prosumer cameras, saving TIFF files takes a long time, and often times
    locks up the camera (ie, buffer not big enough for multiple TIFF's). Also,
    continous and bracket modes don't allow using TIFF either. So if you are
    photographing events and such (as compared to landscapes), the speed can become
    an issue.

    Michael Meissner, Jul 28, 2004
  20. me6

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Well, best, from the image quality standpoint would be to save the
    edited images in .TIFF format (compressed), and pay the space penalty.
    Failing that, save with the highest quality setting for the JPEG program
    you have.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 28, 2004