do 2517/18/19 use different memory than other 2500s?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by sqrfolkdnc, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. sqrfolkdnc

    sqrfolkdnc Guest

    I couldn't console into my 2519 from ebay, so I thought I'd see if the
    ram and flash were any good, so I put them in a 2502. First it
    reported bad ram, but still hung on flash with my good ram back in.

    I know the 2519 boots up, because he lights blinked for self test, then
    several ports flash looking for a connection, and I got a password
    prompt on the aux port.

    I found posts saying the console port wiring is different, but I
    misplaced my rg45 cable crimper so instead of making a cable I tried
    the other solution, setting jumpers to switch the con to the aux port,
    but that did not work either.

    Lastly, here is what I got when I put the ram and rom in a known good
    2502. With ram and flash or just flash in my 2502p, all hung, some not
    even putting out the copywrite message):

    System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE
    Copyright (c) 1986-1995 by cisco Systems
    2500 processor with 4096 Kbytes of main memory

    System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE
    Copyright (c) 1986-1995 by cisco Systems
    Bad memory - wrote zero, read 0x00000600 at location 0x000000EC

    Hmmmm, since the 2518 only has one flash slot, maybe it can take a 16m
    flash, and this is one, and that causes problems in a 2500? Maybe I
    should try just the ram in the 2502 (although 4M or ram has no value to
    me).

    sqrfolkdnc, Mar 11, 2005

  2. sqrfolkdnc

    BradReeseCom Guest