DNS weirdness - anyone else?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by ric, Jan 17, 2008.

  1. ric

    ric Guest

    hi all,
    got a weird issue here. the last 2 XP pro machines i rebuilt for
    people, using the same venerable old build CD i've used for years,
    have done odd stuff with DNS, breaking their internet connection. both
    machines were different hardware and the build CD was the same.

    i've setup the machine on my home network and connection via DHCP
    works first time, everytime. my network's in the 10.0.x.y range.
    i've handed the machines over to the punters and they've reported no
    internet - on doing some digging the machines were set to DHCP, but
    had not refreshed the gateway address - rather than the 192.168.x.y
    that they should have, it was still set to 10.0.0.2 from my network.
    Manually putting on static IP with correct settings still didn't get
    IE to load web pages, until I noticed that a (blank) proxy had been
    set. unticking this and all worked fine.

    now, what i don't get is this has happened on the last two machines
    i've built, using the same (correct) unattended install disk that
    doesn't set manual IP or proxy, on different hardware, and on
    different ISPs. hence the only thing that i can think of that's
    changed is possibly an MS update that screws DNS/DHCP?

    has anyone else seen this? it's a really odd one and it's going to
    drive me nuts as I can't test at home that it's not happened again...

    Ric

    ric, Jan 17, 2008

  2. ric

    Rob Morley Guest

    @v29g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, ric
    says...
    I have no idea what vould be causing the problem, but running
    ipconfig /registerdns
    at startup should fix the DHCP/DNS problem.
    Likewise you could run a regedit script to reset the IE proxy.

    Rob Morley, Jan 17, 2008

  3. ric

    Gaz Guest

    Have noticed weirdness when upgrading to ie7, especially on machines that
    have, in times gone by had the old freeserve settings that put in a proxy
    server. It seems to revert to previous settings on some installs....

    Gaz

    Gaz, Jan 17, 2008