DNS servers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector€NZ, Mar 17, 2008.

  1. For varioous reasons I need the IP of a open DNS server that I can
    access for third level dns lookup, any recomendations

    Collector€NZ, Mar 17, 2008

  2. Collector€NZ

    RL Guest

    The Xtra DNS servers respond to DNS requests outside of their network,
    at least using UDP, I have not tried using TCP on these servers.

    alien.xtra.co.nz
    terminator.xtra.co.nz

    I'm sure you can get the IP address of these easily enough :)

    RL

    RL, Mar 17, 2008

  3. Collector€NZ

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    I use http://www.opendns.com/
    openDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

    Malcolm, Mar 17, 2008
  4. Collector€NZ

    Rob Simpson Guest

    opendns.com
    208.67.222.222
    208.67.220.220

    Rob Simpson, Mar 17, 2008
  5. Thanks much, better than using Xtras

    Collector€NZ, Mar 17, 2008
  6. Interesting that they've been using those names for well over a decade,
    obviously with nary a peep from their legal department.

    Quite unusual for a large company. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 17, 2008
  7. Collector€NZ

    RL Guest

    Exactly how is DNS setup designed specifically to be broken better than
    one which (mostly) does the correct thing?

    Most DNS servers are open. Orcon is the only ISP I know of that prevents
    their DNS servers being used outside of their network. That changed a
    few months ago, much to our annoyance, as we'd been using their servers
    for years.

    RL

    RL, Mar 17, 2008
  8. Collector€NZ

    thingy Guest

    Command line, most of them....(ISPs)....otherwise completewhois.com...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 17, 2008
  9. Collector€NZ

    thingy Guest

    hehe...

    We used to have a server called "terror" which a nameless whimp
    complained was "scary".

    We also had a line named after spiders, which we had to stop. Some
    teenagers (male) thought having a name like tarantula was great but that
    same name put women off buying.

    ;]

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 17, 2008
  10. No reflection on Xtras DNS servers, just I refuse to have anything to do
    with Telecom if I can

    Collector€NZ, Mar 17, 2008
  11. Just why would the legal department have an issue, they are not using a
    trademark or anything similar in naming these servers alien and terminator

    Collector€NZ, Mar 17, 2008
  12. From, e.g. <http://www.mythicentertainment.com/press/alienspr.html>: "Aliens
    is a registered trademark of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation." From,
    e.g. <http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6601/index.html>: "Terminator is a
    trademark of StudioCanal Image S.A., f/k/a Canal+ D.A."

    You could argue that using these for machine names isn't leading to any
    trademark confusion, but you don't really want to go through the time and
    expense of arguing your case in court, even if you will probably win in the
    end. And being a large company makes you an easy target...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 17, 2008
  13. Collector€NZ

    Tony Guest

    Not true at all, pretty much all ISP's locked down their DNS servers to
    prevent recursive lookups (ie domains they don't host) outside of their
    own IP blocks last year.

    Tony, Mar 17, 2008
  14. Collector€NZ

    Allistar Guest

    "Alien" and "Terminator" are dirtionary words, so I can't see how they can
    be trademarked. It's fair enough that I can't make a movie called either of
    those two things, but I should be able to name my cat, car or domain name
    them with no problems.

    Allistar, Mar 18, 2008