DNS question - reverse DNS getting cluttered

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jose Padilla, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. Jose Padilla

    Jose Padilla Guest

    Reverse zone has some very old entries and multiples of
    many DHCP clients at different lease addresses from
    different lease times and is more often returning bad
    (old) data. Forward zone seems to be very clean and is
    always returing correct data.

    What should my zone no-reresh, and refresh settings be at?
    In order for Zone scavenging of stale resource records to
    work must the "enable scavenging of all stale records" be
    checked on the DNS server properties?
    Would enabling the server scavenge help my situation and
    at what interval considering the configuration below?

    DHCP Server and only Scope -
    Lease period 8 hours
    Auto update DHCP client info in DNS? Yes
    Always update DNS? Yes
    Discard forward lookups when lease expires? yes
    enable updates for non supporting clients? yes

    DNS Server -
    Enable automatic scavenging of stale records? No
    DNS forward Zone -
    AD Integrated, Allow dynamic updates? Yes, Scavenge stale
    resource records? yes, refresh int=15 min, retry=10 min,
    expire=1 day.
    DNS reverse Zone -

    Jose Padilla, Jan 21, 2004