    dangerous? Will people start trying to hack my computer immediately if I
    turn it on? It's a Siemens 2614 and it's frigging hard to configure ports
    for hosting. so it would help. Thanks

    GreenSpade, May 9, 2005

  2. GreenSpade

    Kenotic Guest

    Enabling the DMZ option on the router will remove all firewall
    protection. All traffic not handled by anouther rule will be passed to
    the machine. This could lead to exploits. Just wondering, why would you
    want to do that anyway? Maybe if you give an example I can help you out.

    --Kenotic

    Kenotic, May 12, 2005

  3. GreenSpade

    Jim Watt Guest

    People might not, but all sorts of things might start looking for
    weaknesses in your system.

    I left a system fully exposed for a couple of days after
    which had to wipe the HD and re-install the OS as it
    had +something+

    Jim Watt, May 12, 2005
  4. Even on my home network, I get scanned (http, smtp, ssh, dns) about 12 times
    a day and forget about the stats at work. I read a stat saying an unpatched
    windows pc can get infected on the order of minutes if not protected
    (patched and firewalled)...

    Michael
    --
    "Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

    Protect your rights
    http://www.eff.org/
    http://www.publicknowledge.org/

    Michael Pelletier, May 12, 2005
  5. If you need access to a port why not just port-forward that port? What is
    the problem you are having? What are you trying to achieve.

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, May 12, 2005
  6. GreenSpade

    GreenSpade Guest

    I've tried doing that, for the game Stronghold. I've tried to configure it
    every which way in my router setup, for a Siemen 2614. The only way I can
    host/join games is by enabling the DMZ option on my computer. But it is
    patched and usually has the software firewall.
    Maybe if you could tell me for sure what menu to use for port forwarding in
    the Siemens router setup?
    I see virtual server, client filtering, and special application, and each
    looks like it might work for the port forwarding but I dont really know
    which one to use. I've tried them all with several different configurations
    but nothing works. Thanks

    GreenSpade, May 12, 2005
  7. GreenSpade

    xsr Guest

    I suppose virtual server would do the trick, only you need to find out
    which ports exactly are used by the game.

    xsr, May 12, 2005
  8. My guess is that you are forgetting a port you need...Please verify the
    port(s) you need first.

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, May 13, 2005
  9. GreenSpade

    eighthcentury

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    I was just playing around, looking to see what options my router had. Lucky I asked Google and got sent to this question. I was going to turn DMZ on just to see what it did, if anything. Good thing I always try and check but if you don't look, ya never learn.:adore:to the people who run sites like this that help us wanna be geeks look like we know what we are doing.

    eighthcentury, Nov 30, 2012