Dlink DWL-G650 (WinXP) works, but not at boot/startup (Code 10)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ohaya, Aug 22, 2008.

  1. Ohaya

    Ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    I recently got a Dlink DWL-G50 wireless adapter for one of my older
    laptops (a Compaq, running WinXP Home SP2).

    The Dlink card is a "Rev. B5", and I downloaded the drivers from Dlink
    and got them installed.

    The Dlink installation installs Dlink's own utility for configuring the
    wireless, but I wanted to use the Windows Zero config to do that. At
    first, when I enabled the "Let Windows manage" checkbox, I couldn't get
    the configuration to show WPA/WPA-PSK, but after a lot of fiddling, I've
    been able to get that. I'm not 100% what finally got it working, but I
    think it may've been installing the WinXP WPA2 update.

    Anyway, things seem to work ok, but I notice that when I boot the
    machine up, and if the card is plugged in when I boot, it wasn't showing
    up, and in Device Manager, it showed that the card couldn't start, with
    a "Code 10".

    If I pop the card out, then back in again, XP detects it immediately,
    and the wireless works.

    If I leave the card out and boot the laptop, then plug the card in after
    XP has booted, it gets detected.

    I'm probably being a little picky, but I'd like to have the card work in
    the situation where the card is plugged in already when the laptop is
    booted, and was wondering if anyone has some ideas about what the
    problem might be, and how to fix it?

    The driver currently 2.2.4.1, dated 7/14/2004, and the file is
    ar511.sys, in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.

    Thanks in advance!

    Jim

    Ohaya, Aug 22, 2008

  2. Ohaya

    smlunatick Guest

    D-Link adapters tend to install a Connection Manger software link in
    the Start-up folder. If there is one, remove it from the Start-up
    folder and Wireless Zero Configuration should work correctly.

    smlunatick, Aug 22, 2008

  3. Ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    One of the things that I've noticed is that when I boot WinXP with the
    card inserted, I don't hear that "kerplunk" sound, but when I pop the
    card out, it makes that sound, and when I re-insert it it makes that
    sound.

    So, I started thinking that, for some reason, Windows wasn't even
    "seeing" the card on boot, so I checked the PCMCIA adapter info in
    Device Manager. That had "OZ6912", so I thought maybe I needed an
    update for the card controller.

    I did some searching, and found the following:

    If you look at the 9/12/06 posting from "aldamon", it says:

    "Yeah, the latest drivers still didn't work. The OZ6912 Cardbus is
    simply not compatible with the card. Here's what O2Micro told me:

    There are several 802.11 PC Cards in the field with a compliance issue
    to the PC Card Standard. Our products released in past 3 years will
    work-around the issue, but OZ6912 is an old product and has this
    issue.

    The OZ6912 is end-of-life product at O2Micro, there is no support for
    it now.

    Sorry for this situation.

    I returned the card this morning."

    So, I think that that is the same thing that is happening with my
    situation.

    The laptop is a Compaq 2190US, which I "inherited" from my son, and
    it's a few years old now, so I think that, unfortunately, that D-Link
    DWL-G650 is one of those cards with a "compliance issue".

    I'm waiting for a different brand card to arrive, and will try that in
    this same laptop to see if it works (I do have some older PCMCIA
    cards, an Orinoco Silver, and an "Ambicom", and those work, but
    they're only 802.11b).

    Thanks,
    Jim

    ohaya, Aug 22, 2008
  4. Hi
    Cardbuses are so inexpensive that there is No reason wasting time on EOL old
    cards.
    Example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315047
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 23, 2008
  5. Ohaya

    Ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    It's a really old laptop that I "inherited" from one of my sons :), and
    I figured that if I ever got a new laptop, it'd probably have one of
    those new smaller card slots, so I didn't want to spend a lot on it.

    FYI, I just got this Linksys card:

    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LICWPC54GX4

    and it works fine, and doesn't have that problem with the boot/startup.

    Jim

    Ohaya, Aug 27, 2008