DIY Computer with DFI MOBO

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by NDFan70, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. NDFan70

    NDFan70 Guest

    Hello,

    I have been having a boot up problem lately. My computer reboots okay
    if I do an immediate restart, but if I unplug it or turn it off at
    the PS switch in back and leave it for a few minutes, it takes a long
    time to boot back up. I have tried replacing the Power Supply, that
    didn't work. The time it takes to reboot is getting longer each
    time. I'm having no real problems after it reboots though. I have
    pulled every card in the computer, even the video card and nothing
    changed. My next step is to change the CPU fan. If that doesn't
    work, I'm thinking it's the MOBO.

    Here are my specs:

    DFI CA-64TC Motherboard
    1.2 GHz Celeron processor
    640MB 100/133 RAM
    NVidia GeForce2 MX 200 PCI Video Card
    120GB Hard drive
    DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
    DVD Drive

    If anyone has any ideas, they would be most appreciated. :?

    ==============

    NDFan70, Jul 11, 2004

  2. I would first change the battery on the motherboard--silver disc about the
    size of a quarter, give or take. The fact that you state this is taking
    longer as time goes by reinforces this impression in my mind: the battery's
    gradually pooping out.

    The BIOS in the computer performs a check on the devices in the computer
    when the machine is booted. When it does this, it checks the settings that
    have already been stored. If the battery is getting weak, there may be
    missing information in the settings and the machine is having problems
    figuring out what's going on, thus taking more time. (My guess is that it
    has some error-detection/correction method built in so it can still read
    the settings even though they're partially garbaged.) Eventually, when the
    battery is sufficiently depleted, you'll get to the point where the machine
    won't boot at all--but then the BIOS will detect that its settings have
    disappeared and kick you into the setup screen.

    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 12, 2004

  3. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

    Gary G. Taylor, the forgettable, roping twit, Jul 12, 2004
  4. NDFan70

    NDFan70 Guest

    Thanks for that. I have already ordered the CPU Fan. If that doesn't
    work, I will try the battery.

    Thank You. :lol:

    ==============

    NDFan70, Jul 12, 2004
  5. NDFan70

    NDFan70 Guest

    Alright, I have tried the CPU Fan AND the CMOS battery. Neither of
    these things have worked. I am now thinking that it is the
    motherboard. If anyone has another idea, let me know.

    NDFan70, Jul 14, 2004
  6. NDFan70

    NDFan70 Guest

    I have replaced the motherboard. I think the old one had finally
    crapped out on me. It has fixed the problem. Thanks for your
    suggestions though. :lol:

    NDFan70, Jul 22, 2004