Divx, XVID etc playback on Standard DVD Player?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by The Berzerker, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Hi, I'm thinking about picking up a CD-RW Drive, but wanted to check
    something.

    I've got a few Divx and XVID coded films laying around, which would fit onto
    a CD (<700MB). I'm just not sure whether my DVD player would play these
    back, as I'm new to burning, I'm lost. Must I perform a special type of
    burning? Or do I just dump the file on a CD, and the DVD Player will
    recognise it?

    How am I to tell if my DVD Player will playback these burned discs? Is it a
    special feature of certain dvd players, or just a standard?

    Please help, these random questions are bugging me.

    Thanks very much!

    Chris

    --

    The Berzerker
    Stick Your Hate to Me

    The Berzerker, Sep 2, 2004

  2. The Berzerker

    Biz Guest

    You have to buy a DVD player that specifically plays those formats, DivX and
    XVid, since their roots are in pirated bootleg downloads, is not that well
    supported yet by standalone units. You can get a rought list of units that
    willplay it at www.divx.com under hardware section.

    Is it a
    Its a special feature...

    If you want to convert those to play on standard dvd players, they must be
    converted to mpeg1 or mpeg 2..

    www.digitalfaq.com

    www.dvdrhelp.com

    should have all the info you need