    for shelf space, it may be better to get separate units to make replacing one
    of the two easier.

    Peter.

    Peter Gutmann, Nov 1, 2004

  2. GraB

    A Guest

    I use to think the same about printer/scanner all-in-one units but
    having owned one for a while now I'll never go back to the separate
    units. If one dies I'll buy a new unit (they're pretty cheap these
    days anyway).

    Having said that, the link between a video & DVD isn't as strong as a
    scanner & printer.

    A, Nov 1, 2004

  3. GraB

    A Guest

    If only there was some way to add a tv tuner to an xbox so it can be
    used as a PVR as well (and possibly decode sky) :-(

    A, Nov 1, 2004
  4. Actually there is (sort of)
    External TV tuner with network out.
    Still too pricey at the moment & you'd have to run linux on the XBOX
    & then try get the external tuner to talk to Linux.

    Steve Robertson, Nov 2, 2004
  5. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Went ahead and bought the Samsung unit. Overall I am pleased with its
    performance. Trying a different DivX encoded movie I found it so good
    that one would be hard pressed to tell it wasn't a DVD. I suspect
    that the setup in the shop where I tried it wasn't optimal, probably
    on composite rather than s-video or component. Though the movie I
    encoded for the original test was an old one, '50s, the video quality
    not the best.

    One thing I have found, trying a backup CD of my older DivX 3.11 video
    captures, the only one I got to play was one without sound. Most of
    my earlier DivX 3.11 captures have 8bit PCM sound at 8 or 11KHz (my
    speakers at the time were very crappy, so much so I couldn't hear how
    bad 8bit sound was). None of the others would play though this player
    is supposed to be compatible with DivX from 3.11 up.

    Using the s-video out for DVD on AV1 and composite for VCR on AV2,
    which also handles DVD, I can get a direct comparison of a frozen
    frame of a DVD and the s-video is noticeably better. It would be
    interesting to see how much better it would be with component out and
    progressive scan but my TV doesn't support this.

    GraB, Nov 23, 2004
  6. GraB

    Craig Shore Guest

    Divx is the video codec, so if it's playing the picture then it is compatable.
    The audio is seperate from the video, and can be anything (mp3, ogg,
    uncompressed wav, etc), so you would need to look at the seperate specs of what
    audio the machine supports.

    Craig Shore, Nov 23, 2004
  7. GraB

    Mutlley Guest

    Have you also tried Xvid encoding as well?? I know that Xvid and
    Divx are related but curious..

    Mutlley, Nov 23, 2004
  8. GraB

    Biz Guest

    All the DivX compatible standalone players are really more mpeg4 compliant
    players, and since DivX 4.XX came out, DivX has been mpeg4 compliant as long
    as you stay away from certain non mpeg4 compliant features. Much of the old
    DivX 3.11 was coded so it did not meet the specs, so that is why so much of
    it doesnt play. If you read the small print about your player, it will say
    something about the DivX files probably have to meet mpeg4 advanced simple
    profile, or similar.

    Biz, Nov 23, 2004
  9. GraB

    GraB Guest

    I installed Xvid but after having some problems encoding with DivX
    5.2.1 which required me having to strip the index of the resulting
    file and rebuild it with Divfix so that it would play, I uninstalled
    all other codecs I don't use, including Xvid and 3ivx. I have heard
    that some other codecs can conflict.

    GraB, Nov 24, 2004
  10. GraB

    GraB Guest

    All my DivX 3.11 clips were captured and compressed with the same
    codec, including the one that plays. The only difference is that the
    one that plays was captured with no sound. I will experiment with
    capturing with different bitrate and different sampling rates.

    GraB, Nov 24, 2004
  11. GraB

    Biz Guest

    Its not which codec you used so much as its which options you choose for the
    encode, Quarter Pixel, or B-frames etc.. that makes the difference. DivX
    was not so much a "standard" back b4 DivX 4.02 as it was a rolling test bed.
    So as long as you always kept up with the software releases you would have
    very few playback problems, but a hardware solution is usually fixed at some
    build level, and when the encodes are done with a newer bulid level beyond
    teh hws capability, you lose the ability to playback anymore.

    Biz, Nov 24, 2004
  12. GraB

    GraB Guest

    The encoding was done on the fly at time of capture. Settings same
    for all captures.

    GraB, Nov 24, 2004
  13. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Further comments on my Samsung combo unit, DVD-V540, which has 6-head
    VHS tape and DivX and multiscan capable DVD drive: in this day and
    age it seems a bit archaic that for reading MP3s and JPEGs from CDs it
    is only 8.3 filename format compatible. How would you truncate
    Engelbert Humperdinck - Green Green Grass Of Home.mp3 or
    Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No 2 In C Minor - Adagio Sostenuto.mp3
    to 8.3 format? I think this is something that they need to work on.
    If I remember correctly a cheap 2-channel Magnavox DVD player handled
    that better

    GraB, Dec 6, 2004
  14. GraB

    MCheu Guest

    The shorter "8.3" format is mode 1 compliant. Longer filenames are
    available in mode 2, but error correction isn't quite as extensive so
    it isn't recommended for data if you can help it.

    The only other common way to get long file names on CDs is Joliet, and
    that's a microsoft extension to mode 1, not an actual part of the
    CD-ROM standard. When in doubt, manufacturers stick to the standard
    for implementation, and leave the extensions alone.

    If you don't the increased risk of data corruption, try burning with
    mode2. You won't be allowed as long a filename as with Joliet, but it
    *might* be supported.

    MCheu, Dec 6, 2004