    how visible the artifacts were with the DivX given how well they play
    back on the PC. Are other DivX-capable DVD players better, or are
    they much of a muchness.

    GraB, Oct 30, 2004

  2. GraB

    Hmmm Guest

    ive got a philips 640k and the quality is outstanding... on a well
    encoded divx its very hard to spot the differences between it and a dvd.
    is that samsung actually divx certified? or just divx capable?

    Hmmm, Oct 30, 2004

  3. GraB

    Bruce Flyger Guest

    Was the divx created with a 1-pass or 2-pass encode?

    Bruce Flyger, Oct 30, 2004
  4. GraB

    Craig Shore Guest

    And was it with the Pro codec or standard?

    Craig Shore, Oct 30, 2004
  5. GraB

    GraB Guest

    2-pass with Dr DivX, 5.2.1 codec.

    GraB, Oct 30, 2004
  6. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Dunno, it has a DivX logo on it though.

    GraB, Oct 30, 2004
  7. GraB

    Hmmm Guest

    i Dont think matters as he said it looks fine on his pc but not his
    standalone, so it seems its a problem with the decoding not the encoding.

    Hmmm, Oct 30, 2004
  8. GraB

    Billy Joe Guest

    Comparing the Philips DVP642/37 (firmware rev: 0531) with the LiteOn
    2001 (firmware rev: 0302) using the same files and TV.

    I used S-Video simply because it was easier to switch the cable than
    using component cabling.

    Both units at factory default settings for NTSC - Region 1.

    The LiteOn, in all cases, provides a crisper picture with better
    brightness/contrast.

    Using AVI/Divx encoded files: typically at 1100 to 1300 mbps video,
    all at 192 kbps MP3 audio, and TV capture conversions at 29.97 fps
    (the original capture rate).

    1 pass, interlaced - The 642 picture was unwatchable with interlace
    jaggedly placed. The 2001 picture was almost as smooth as the
    original broadcast with occasional brief jerkiness (possibly media).

    1 pass, deinterlaced - The 642 had modest improvement over the above
    test, but the picture was still unwatchable. The 2001 was as smooth
    as the original broadcast but the deinterlace algorithm used (VDub)
    softened the image a bit.

    The above were both 640x480 frames.

    2 pass, deinterlaced - The 642 picture was almost as smooth as the
    original broadcast. The 2001 picture was virtually indistinguishable
    from the original broadcast. Both were somewhat softened.

    This image was 704x364

    2 pass, progressive, 23.976 fps from DVD.
    Both players produced smooth pictures with the 2001 being slightly
    more crisp, brighter, and better contrasted.

    This image was 704x384

    I had thought that there are perhaps two or three chip sets in use
    among these MPEG4 savvy players - and that still may be true. But
    clearly these two units do not use the same components and the price
    difference is reflected in the results!! (The 642 was US$63, the 2001
    US$120).

    I think the Philips 642 is a great device at $63, I seldom use it tho
    and prefer the LiteOn 2001.

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Oct 30, 2004
  9. GraB

    Hmmm Guest

    probably divx certified then :) which means it should be up to a decent
    standard.. do keep in mind that most of the stand alone divx players do
    not support all features of divx pro, the divx site says this about it.
    So if the movies you are testing have been encoded using one of these
    featuress, then it could have all sorts of results, gmc global motion
    compensation could cause artifacts.

    I have a utility that checks a divx quickly and tells you if its been
    encoded with one of these, its called "avicheck" try finding it with
    google and then check the divx you are trying to play...

    "
    Specifically GMC and Qpel

    What will happen if I try to play a file I might have with GMC or Qpel?
    It is up to the manufacturer to decide what the product does when
    content with GMC or Qpel is encountered. Even though GMC and Qpel are
    not mandatory to be DivX Certified, some manufacturers will implement
    support of these features.
    "

    Hmmm, Oct 30, 2004
  10. GraB

    Hmmm Guest

    is that from a review site? or your personal findings? just really goes
    against my experience with the philips and the reason i bought the
    philips was it got such good writeups by other people using it..

    im off to test an interlaced movie..

    who uses ntsc anyway? :p

    Hmmm, Oct 30, 2004
  11. GraB

    Billy Joe Guest

    Hmmm wrote:
    ;-0)

    side by side players, just moved the DVD disc and the S-Vid cable to
    see the same file on the same TV.

    I have no complaints with the Philips (other than the interlace issue
    and the incredibly poor sub-title implimentation). For $63, it's a
    good player.

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Oct 30, 2004
  12. GraB

    XPD Guest

    Can I just ask how much the Philips player was ?
    We've already got a DVD player but one that supports DivX would be great :)

    XPD, Oct 30, 2004
  13. GraB

    Billy Joe Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/3mgp8

    A few months ago, it was $63 here.

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Oct 30, 2004
  14. GraB

    Pon Guest

    May well be $US ?

    Farmers have it at around the $NZ229 point.

    Pon, Oct 30, 2004
  15. GraB

    XPD Guest

    Cheers. Will look into one :)

    XPD, Oct 30, 2004
  16. GraB

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Most likely a completely different model. The US model and experiences
    hardly applies here.

    DivX offers real good quality on a PC with enough grunt. A good DVD DivX
    player should show it even better on a TV.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 30, 2004
  17. GraB

    XPD Guest

    Yeah but I dont want to shell out for another PC :) Trying to get rid of the
    damn things, not have more ;)

    XPD, Oct 31, 2004
  18. GraB

    E. Scrooge Guest

    You're not making your own DivX CDs then. You either buy them - highly
    unlikely - or use other peoples.
    If you're not making your own, you might as well forget about a DVD DivX
    player to play them on as well.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 31, 2004
  19. GraB

    Hmmm Guest

    Ahh yes that was something i was looking at... it seems quite economical
    to get an xbox now.. you get divx support, dvd support, game support..
    and they are what these days? 300? plus mod chip and hd..
    but still pretty damn good..

    and of course the divx support on these can be improved cause its just
    software :)

    Hmmm, Oct 31, 2004
  20. Another option is a 'chiped' XBOX
    Divx looks graet plating on this.
    I just put a bigger HD into it & copied the files to it.

    Steve Robertson, Oct 31, 2004