Dividing CPU time?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mama Bear, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    Ok, I have a problem.

    I use Win XP Home Edition on a 1.4 GHZ AMD XP machine, with ATI All
    In Wonder Pro 32 meg video card.

    I use Hotdog 6 Pro web editor for html writing daily, and it was
    hanging when I used ShortKeys, which is a very cool macro key
    program, and crashing the Shortkeys. I asked Sausage why and they
    said to switch my control panel - performance options - advanced to
    schedule the processor to run background services. That worked and
    solved it. BUT...

    Chessmaster 9000 needs the processor to focus on program tasks, to
    give me smooth move transitions, otherwise it drives my eyes
    bonkers with jerkiness of the moves.

    One would THINK there'd be a way to divide them equally or
    something, right? But the choices appear to be one or the other.

    Is there any way to divide them equally?

    Mama Bear, Jan 25, 2006

  2. Mama Bear

    JANA Guest

    Your problem may be that you need more RAM in the machine. Also, having a
    faster CPU would be a great asset!

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jan 25, 2006

  3. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    Isn't 1.4 GHz pretty fast?

    I have 512 Megs.

    Mama Bear, Jan 25, 2006
  4. Mama Bear

    Smoker~ Guest

    I'm not familiar with ShortKeys, but,

    "Fixed a crash that occurred when a user attempted to print the ShortKey
    list."
    "Fixed a crash that could occur when the user is importing a text file."

    That's two of many fixes they list. With so many simple crashes in the
    program all the time I'd think ShortKeys is the problem.

    A dual processor would help you. They can do two things at once a lot
    easier. However, you should have plenty of power and RAM with the system you
    have. I'm not aware of any way to make the processor divide equally.

    Smoker~, Jan 25, 2006
  5. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    The problem with it goes away though, if I set it to prioritize
    background tasks. But then of course the chess pieces jerk
    around.

    Dual processors eh? I wonder if I have a socket for the second
    and how much they cost.

    Will it really speed the box up in general?

    Mama Bear, Jan 25, 2006
  6. Mama Bear

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Ignore Jana, the guy is an idiot.

    From a brief Google search, ShortKeys is pretty buggy, and that is
    where your problem lies.

    Oldus Fartus, Jan 25, 2006
  7. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    But setting the CPU to background task priority solves it.

    God I love ShortKeys, couldn't do without it.

    Mama Bear, Jan 25, 2006
  8. Mama Bear

    *****General Guest

    Easy, get another PC.

    *****General, Jan 25, 2006
  9. Mama Bear

    Tony Guest

    Have you tried going to Task Manager (right click on the clock) then right
    click on the program and you can set the priority for each program.

    Tony, Jan 25, 2006
  10. Mama Bear

    Jake Guest

    With any sort of *NIX or Linux you can do this with great ease. (But
    then you wouldn't be able to use your programs). You can assign a
    "NICE" value to a program, and that program will use all cpu resources
    it needs, until another program needs it, and the percent of cpu usage
    by that program will drop no lower than the NICE value.

    Jake, Jan 25, 2006