    If I where to get rid of Windows and Office XP and use a non-Microsoft OS
    and office suite, would one of the variations of Linux and Open Office be
    adequate (or an equivalent of Microsoft's products)?

    ErmYouKnow, Jan 20, 2004

  2. www.freebsd.org would be a great option. Takes a little
    under-the-hood-work, but once set up, you're golden!

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Jan 20, 2004

  3. ErmYouKnow

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    Oh yes. More than adequate. No need for anti-virus software though. Or
    AdAware. Or disc defragmenters. Or tweaking tools. Or registry editors. Or
    product activation. Or hard drive 'cleaners'. Or expensive upgrades...

    http://tinyurl.com/yt38f
    http://www.openoffice.org/
    http://koffice.kde.org/
    http://www.google.com/linux
    http://www.linuxiso.org/
    http://tinyurl.com/3g6wv

    Try a 'live' Linux CD first. Go ask at alt.os.linux.mandrake and see what
    reaction you get.

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 20, 2004
  4. It was on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:41:07 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    It should be. You can download & try an Open Office windows version free,
    to see what you think of it.

    William Poaster, Jan 20, 2004
  5. ErmYouKnow

    PC Guest

    Just done a job where the copy of Office 97 I was to put on a new
    replacement PC had gone walkabout .

    Suggested they try Open Office 1.3, which opened Word docs and Excel
    spreadsheets apparently ok.

    Unfortunately the macro's in Excel spreadsheets would not work, in fact from
    what I could see they hadn't even been recognised as being in the file.

    They didn't have any macros in their Word docs so can't pass comment on Word
    macro's.

    The macros concerned came from a third party and ran to some 3 or 4 pages
    long. To long to analyse and convert, so of to the MS shop and shell out
    $$$$$

    Sooo if your doc/sheets rely on macro's be wary they may not work.

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Jan 21, 2004
  6. ErmYouKnow

    Jay Guest

    ComputerWorld publication Jan 2004.
    In the last 4 months of 2003, Red Hat released 42 secuirty fixes for it's
    popular distribution.
    I have no interest in getting into any kind of MS Vs Others thread.... but
    it seems *nix users only paint half the picture.

    Jay

    Jay, Jan 21, 2004
  7. ErmYouKnow

    Jay Guest

    Hats off Mr Poaster, it is refreshing to hear a non-MS user give practical
    advice without feeling the need to put the boot in.
    Open Office is a good piece of software. Bare in mind that you may
    experience problems with .docs, .xls's that have macros etc.
    ok WP, I just saw your signature and take it all back :)

    Jay

    Jay, Jan 21, 2004
  8. It was on Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:55:51 +1300, just as I was halfway through a
    I haven't had any problems at all. :)

    ok WP, I just saw your signature and take it all back :)
    Fine. At least the OS I use doesn't tie me in to it, nor do I need
    other programs to prop it up, as I had to buy when I used windows.

    William Poaster, Jan 21, 2004