    I was just wondering if there is a way to distribute the amount o
    bandwidth which computer will get? Any one have any ideas?

    Thank

    alianzista84, May 19, 2005

  2. alianzista84

    SgtMinor Guest

    What is the problem you are trying to resolve?

    SgtMinor, May 19, 2005

  3. alianzista84

    Evan Platt Guest

    On your typical consumer router, no.

    Why bother?

    Evan Platt, May 19, 2005
  4. alianzista84

    alianzista84 Guest

    I basically want to allocate more bandwidth to one computer than th
    other since one gets used more frequently than the other and I'm no
    sure how to go about doing this

    alianzista84, May 19, 2005
  5. alianzista84

    SgtMinor Guest

    Have you checked the software that came with the unit?

    SgtMinor, May 19, 2005
  6. Bandwidth shaping is not an easy chore. But I think you'll find that the
    computers will probably handle it almost automatically. If the one that
    doesn't get used very much doesn't take up bandwidth very often, the
    rest of the time the whole amount of bandwidth is available to the one
    that is used a lot.

    If the one that doesn't get used very much is doing peer to peer stuff
    (Russian roulette with 5 bullets instead of 1) then some of the PTP
    programs offer some bandwidth limiting in the settings.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 19, 2005
  7. alianzista84

    why? Guest

    Yes, so what's the problem?

    Your PC speeds ( Ethernet 10/100/1000Mbps. don't know USB but isn't it 1
    to near 500Mbps ) are way higher then the ISP connection is likely to
    be.

    Search old posts in 24HSHD.
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
    bandwitdh sharing has been mentioned before, quite a few times.

    137 results for bandwidth sharing

    Me

    why?, May 19, 2005
  8. alianzista84

    Paul B. Guest

    Do a search on QoS packet scheduler, which is built in to XP.

    p.

    Paul B., May 19, 2005
  9. alianzista84

    why? Guest

    That's going to do what, without other QoS enabled devices / QoS enabled
    apps?

    Me

    why?, May 19, 2005
  10. alianzista84

    Paul B. Guest

    Actually I don't know. Never used it myself, only know of it.

    p.

    Paul B., May 19, 2005
  11. alianzista84

    why? Guest

    That's what they all say :)

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/communications/trafficmgmt/qos.asp

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q316666

    http://www.tweakxp.com/article139389.aspx
    However, programs must be designed to take advantage of this QoS API.
    The traffic from programs that are not QoS-aware are sent directly to a
    different API called TCI. These programs have to fight for bandwidth
    because unlike the QoS API, there is no bandwidth reservation.

    It will work, say you have 2 PCs, Win 2000 / XP and your Internet
    connection is a similar OS, you can then enable QoS between the 2
    clients and the server. If you run MS Internet Security and Acceleration
    (ISA) Server to do all your web or other proxy stuff then you get the
    benefit of QoS and web access.

    Me

    why?, May 19, 2005