    unable to display pictures now while browsing in Internet Explorer.
    Example: Ebay, local newspsper, my company website, etc. Not all
    websites are affected. Any tips?

    notatechie, Sep 29, 2005

  2. notatechie

    Danny Guest

    I had this problem when I installed Norton Firewall. I was advised to turn
    off Privacy control in System Status and this worked. Maybe it's something
    similar?

    Danny, Sep 29, 2005

  3. notatechie

    notatechie Guest

    I've uninstalled AntiVirus and still have the same problem. Explorer
    indicates it is downloading the pictures, but nothing ever happens. It's
    very frustrating. Any other ideas? Thanks again!

    notatechie, Oct 1, 2005
  4. notatechie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Put your AV back on. That has nothing to do with it, and running without AV
    is foolish.

    Try emptying your temp files cache in IE.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 1, 2005
  5. ===Boilerplate===

    You can probably access this public Usenet newsgroup directly with
    some fine news client like slrn or pan or knode or others [1], rather
    than some clunky web interface, unless, say, you're at firewalled at
    work and IT hasn't favorably responded to your request for Usenet
    (NNTP) capability. Do yourself and the rest of Usenet a favor: check
    out your options and take control of your own Usenet experience.
    And learn Usenet conventions and courtesies -- things you won't learn
    using some clunky web gateway.

    [1]Even with a piece of crap you might already have, like Outlook
    Express, which, as bad as it is, still beats web interfaces for this
    activity that wasn't meant for webification.

    =================

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 1, 2005
  6. notatechie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    (hee hee...I tried Opera and went back to OE. I might try something else
    soon, but right now I don't have time...)

    Toolman Tim, Oct 1, 2005
  7. I've been using Opera, since I installed 8.x recently, nearly as much
    as Firefox. Opera was my primary browser for years, only being
    replaced in that position by FF this spring, when I saw how much one
    could do with FF extensions.

    But, of course, the boilerplate above was about OP using that web gateway
    instead of a real news client, not about browsers themselves.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 1, 2005
  8. notatechie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    True - but I was trying the Opera interface for email and news. It wasn't
    bad, but some of the little things didn't work the way I wanted.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 1, 2005
  9. Don't EVEN bother! :)
    The browser (which is all there *should* be, after all) is very nice.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 1, 2005
  10. notatechie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    True. And really, the email/news client worked okay, except for a few
    inconveniences. But I'm so used to OE with Quotefix that I find it hard to
    consider a serious change.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 1, 2005
  11. Filtering's rather braindead. No scoring. You can include but not
    view Xfaces... Not a serious news client at all.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 1, 2005
  12. When you get the chance try xnews (of course) and give MesNews. It's
    got a few decent features and a decent display. It's just a little
    different from what I've seen before.

    Top

    Top (retired), Oct 1, 2005