Display won't come out of standby?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by KJ, Mar 5, 2005.

  1. KJ

    KJ Guest

    Just built a new system 2 weeks ago/switched to XP Home from 98.
    Standby worked fine. (Depress On/Off button on chassis to go into
    standby, hit any key/mouse movement to bring the system out. No
    problem.) Then suddenly a few days ago the monitor stopped cooperating.
    I hit kybd/mouse and computer jumps to life with fans engaging, HDs
    spinning up, etc... but the monitor's LED light remains amber. Nothing
    brings it out short of the system reset button.

    Note that I am still loading software and tweaking XP so it hasn't been
    "business as usual" with only a few actions I can narrow down. I
    rechecked BIOS settings and Power Mgmt settings and all looks just like
    it did when it was working AFAICT.

    SYSTEM:
    MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum mobo
    Athlon64 3000+
    1GB dual channel Mushkin RAM
    Chaintech GeForce 6200 PCIe 128MB graphics card
    CD ROM
    Plextor 716SA SATA DVD/CDROM
    120GB Maxtor HD
    SBLive! Platinum
    PolyView 19" LCD flat panel (w/ DPMS)

    BIOS in MB set to allow Standby with Power Button, to use DPMS Monitor
    support in standby mode.

    Things I've tried:
    1. Going into Control Panel Power Options/Desktop Settings/Power. Set
    the monitor to go into standby after 1 min, but left system going.
    Monitor came out of standby as I expected it to, since the system did
    not go into standby. (This was just to see if the problem was in the
    monitor itself, even though it's new. But it is still *capable* of
    coming out of standby mode, so...)

    2. Rather than going into standby using the chassis button, I used the
    Desktop settings menu to set the system to go into standby after 1 min,
    along with the monitor. I realize this should not be any diff than using
    the chassis power button but I just wanted to cross-check the problem.
    It was duplicated as expected.

    3. I tried turning the display's power button off when it would not
    respond, then back on, thinking it would see the now-active system. It
    doesn't. It's like the system isn't sending a signal, even though I hear
    it waking up [and seemingly sending one].

    Note: The system is not going into hibernation. Just standby. And again,
    for several days it worked fine. Then I spent a day or two using Tune Up
    2004 and trying one or two other utility tweakers, then uninstalled them
    and stuck with xpAnti-spy.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

    KJ

    KJ, Mar 5, 2005

  2. KJ

    old man Guest

    Try resetting Bios to defaults, then check as to whether any bios update.
    Then adjust settings in Power Settings, dont set monitor/system to the same.
    Dont set to anything less than 10 mins. and test.
    Also check hardware manu.sites for any updates - not via winxp update.

    old man, Mar 5, 2005

  3. KJ

    dwacon Guest

    XP has issues with standby and hibernation... try
    http://www.google.com/search?source...D:en&q=problems+with+standby+and+hibernate+XP

    Hope that helps.

    dwacon, Mar 5, 2005
  4. KJ

    kj Guest

    Thanks for your response. Will try that. And not to fear, I never use MS
    update function. ;)

    KJ

    kj, Mar 5, 2005
  5. KJ

    Plato Guest

    Perhaps you have autoupdate set which installed unhealthy video drivers.
    Try installing the correct drivers from your video card maker.

    Plato, Mar 5, 2005
  6. KJ

    kj Guest

    Good thought but autoupdate is the first thing I turn off when I install
    XP. ;) I did update my drivers anyway, even though my "old" drivers were
    Oct'04. The new drvr was Jan '05. Made no diff though. :(

    kj, Mar 6, 2005
  7. KJ

    kj Guest

    Thanks, I did look through about 4 pages deep of those and several other
    searches over the last few days. A lot of the links on the search
    results are to Web bb's where people are complaining of the problem.
    That is, there is not much in the way of solutions beyond the obvious
    (BIOS settings, mouse/kybd settings, graphics card settings, etc.).

    Thanks for trying to help.

    kj, Mar 6, 2005