Display problem: Pixels everywhere!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mikboo, Aug 13, 2006.

  1. mikboo

    mikboo Guest

    I am having a display problem with my new PC.

    I have just built it using the following hardware:-
    Asus M2N-E, AMD X2 Dual core 4600 AM2, 2gig Corsair DDR2, BFG 7900 GTX
    graphics card, Samsung 400gig SATAII.

    The problem I am getting is a pixel pattern all across my display.
    It's a bit hard to describe, it's almost like a matrix of very
    small multi-coloured blocks across everything. I can still see Windows
    XP in the background.
    It began after I had finished installing XP. I had left Windows
    formatting a partition and when I got back to check how far it had got
    I had pixels everywhere!!
    I thought I would have a look in the Bios setting screen to check
    things like CPU temp etc but when I rebooted it looked even worse. The
    pixels turned into coloured blocks/characters and it made reading the
    information in Bios almost impossible! I was able to just about see the
    CPU temp and that was OK.

    I have checked to make sure all hardware is still seated/connected
    correctly and all is fine. Graphics card drivers are installed.

    I have built a few PCs in the past and have never seen anything like
    this previously. Before I start trying anything I thought it best to
    ask you guys in case you have seen it before.

    mikboo, Aug 13, 2006

  2. mikboo

    JANA Guest

    The very first thing to try, is to see if the pixelation is not present when
    the setting is in the lowest possible resolution. Try starting up in the
    safe mode to start.

    Also possible, the problem is either the display driver, the display card,
    or the monitor itself. Start by verifying the driver, then try another
    display card. If it is not those, it has to be the monitor.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Aug 13, 2006

  3. mikboo

    PeeCee Guest

    My gut reaction to your description is a crook video card/chip.
    Bios screen outputs a very basic VGA screen that does not involve 'any'
    drivers, just the hardware.
    Try another one, or if onboard video, disable it and put in a plugin card.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 13, 2006
  4. mikboo

    Meat Plow Guest

    Swap the vid card or find update drivers?

    Meat Plow, Aug 13, 2006
  5. mikboo

    FML Guest

    Have you tried your display on a different machine or a different
    display on the faulty machine? I had a similar problem once and it
    turned out to be a bad video cable.

    FML, Aug 13, 2006
  6. mikboo

    Plato Guest

    Install the video drivers for the OS you want to use.

    Plato, Aug 14, 2006