    is just to dark I can not see the detail in pictures or some lettering that
    is on a dark background. I changed this once before but age is starting to
    creep up on me and for the life of me I can not remember how to do shange it.

    Guest, May 17, 2006

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    You have a couple of options here. The first is probably the one thing you
    don't want to hear, and that is: its probably time for a new display. I held
    on to an old monitor for years until I had the same problem you are
    describing. Dark pictures or games with 'ambiance' were just unviewable.
    That happens naturally over time with the equipment. Its most likley time to
    buy a new device. Classic CRT monitors are pretty cheap right now, and the
    variety of LCDs available is pretty good too.

    If you can't or won't buy a new monitor and just want to eke as much as
    possible out of your current hardware there are two options. First, your
    monitor almost certainly has settings for brightness, contrast, gamma, and
    several other display properties. These are most likely accessed by fiddling
    with the buttons on the monitor. One button should call up a menu while
    other buttons will let you step through the menus and make choices. Pushing
    your brightness setting up 10% or so should make a pretty siginificant
    difference.

    The other option is to see if your video card allows you to tweak these
    settings with its software. Mine does, but its a pretty high end NVIDIA
    card. Specifcs vary, but in general you access these settings by finding an
    empty piece of your desktop and right-clicking on it. Select properties from
    the resulting menu. This will take you to the display properties window.
    Near the bottom right side of this window click on advanced. Depedning on
    how new your video card is you will find a tab on this screen that allows you
    to change your color settings.

    Hope this helps. For what its worth, I just bought myself a new 19" LCD
    recently because of the exact same issue and I love it.

    Guest, May 17, 2006

  3. Guest

    Cerebrus Guest

    Southernty,

    You said " I changed this once before ". Do you happen to remember what
    you did recently that caused the brightness etc. to get dimmed ? What
    brought on the problem ?

    Cerebrus, May 17, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I agree with the post from John, Check your physical monitor settings, check
    the brightness in graphics card settings, or reload the drivers or check for
    updated drives for your monitor, VGA, ect..
    The drivers are not corrupted but it may help the issue along or give some
    new options to play with.

    Guest, May 27, 2006
  5. Guest

    Andy techno

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, I've been in your shoes also as I bought a £200 24" monitor and 2 weeks later I had this issue where I could barely make out the desktop, needless to say I was very annoyed, but I did some poking around with my specs and in reality the issue was a lack of power supply to the monitor so the power saving mode kicked in in order to display any image at all. Simply put, check your power cable and make sure either ends aren't hanging out, make sure the fuse in the plug is of the correct Amp and change to a different plughole, if none of these work, only after checking your configturation is it worth looking at buying a new one.

    Hope this helps

    - Andy Techno

    Andy techno, Jan 24, 2015