    Rick Guest

    It seems DisKeeper has just released their version 10 that is supposed
    to work on x64.

    Rick, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Rick

    djbearb Guest

    PerfectDisk also works on x64 and only costs 40 bucks.

    djbearb, Dec 6, 2005

  3. And is a considerably better product...

    Mark Gillespie, Dec 6, 2005
  4. At this point support for x64 requires the DK10 Professional Premier
    Edition.

    The DK10 Professional Edition does NOT work on x64. I am disturbed by that
    and I have asked for an explanation from DKC. So far their answer is that
    x64 users are a tiny, albeit growing, minority of their user base and that
    they will watch it. I don't see how that should affect pricing and cause a
    lack of x64 support in DK10 Pro, though.

    Once again, you need the edition that says "Premier" on it for x64. I'm
    afraid it is more expensive than the Pro edition.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Before you get into cheerleading, better take a look at DK10. Download the
    Professional Premier trial edition and take a good look. I cannot see that
    PD is a 'considerably' better product. DK10 is a seriously powerful
    product. Industrial strength. I beta tested the Home and Professional
    Premier editions and watched it clear moderately to severely fragged disks
    of up to 60GB of data in under two minutes. I just wish that the Pro
    edition supported x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 6, 2005
  6. I downloaded the Premier Pro trialware and it refused to install on x64.
    It said the version of Windows was not supported!

    Upgrade pricing from Pro for the Premier Pro and Pro editions is the same,
    but upgrades require previous version 8 or 9 Pro to be installed.

    Dominic Payer, Dec 6, 2005
  7. Then upgrade is not possible on x64 since I don't think DK9 Pro will install
    on x64. In the past, however, DK gave an option to point the installer to a
    cd drive containing the install cd for the previous version. It would then
    install without the previous version being installed. I am more concerned
    to hear about the "version of Windows was not supported" because that showed
    up in the beta testing and I thought they resolved it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 6, 2005
  8. The current build 532 of DK9 Pro will not install on x64.
    Earlier builds would install but do nothing.

    If it had worked, I would have bought the upgrade and reported on any
    installation problems.

    Dominic Payer, Dec 7, 2005
  9. I have passed it on.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  10. Rick

    kirbalo Guest

    I have version 593 running in the background on XP x64 defragging 4 separate
    partitions as I type this...

    Installed perfectly and seems to be working perfectly...

    kirbalo, Dec 7, 2005
  11. Great news! Thanks for the feedback.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  12. Wait a minute, Colin. You're telling me that if I have two IDENTICAL
    computers, one running Windows XP Professional, and one running Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition, I get to pay twice as much for the exact same
    software? (OK, there may be feature differences, but nothing I care about
    one way or another. I just want a reliable defrag that works on both
    versions of Windows XP.)

    PD's looking better every day.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 7, 2005
  13. Regrettably true. XP Pro x86 uses DK10 Pro ($49.00). XP Pro x64 requires
    DK10 Pro Premier ($99.00).

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  14. Diskeeper Europe have (almost) sorted out yesterday's shambles.
    They now identify separately a 64 bit trial version of Premier Pro, which
    installs and runs.

    Premier Pro has been transferred from Small Business to Home/Home Office.

    But although they list an upgrade offer to the 64 bit version, see
    http://www.diskeepereurope.com/en/01_ho/xhtml/buynow.htm ,the upgrade page
    does not show the 64 bit version as available for upgrade.

    Dominic Payer, Dec 7, 2005
  15. Yes. I installed build 593 without incident and it is working just fine for
    me too.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  16. I'll be restrained and polite. This is an unwise and ill considered policy
    that will do them no good in this community. (now, if I'd said what I really
    thought, it would have been rather more forceful, but we're trying to keep
    things down to a PG rating. <g>)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 7, 2005
  17. I was pretty direct when I emailed the same question to DK because I do in
    fact have two machines sitting side by side in exactly that configuration.
    If somebody from DK were to read this ng from top to bottom I don't think
    they would find anybody asking what defragmentation is. That's how
    sophisticated those interested in x64 are. And this is classed as a
    'general' ng. Such a group tends to be influential in the buying decisions
    of all kinds of Windows users. That's why I don't buy their idea that the
    size of the x64 user base ought to matter at all. Just look at the
    demographics.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  18. Rick

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi all, using the trial version of DK10, but version 10.0594.0....
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Dec 7, 2005
  19. Updates already! I am on the rtm Pro Premier at build 593.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  20. Rick

    Rick Guest

    If you're unhappy that Win x64 is not supported in DK 10 Pro, or even DK
    10 Home, you can send a message directly to the CEO. His web site is:
    http://www.craigjensen.com/ and when you click on Contact at the upper
    right of the page you are taken to a form to send him a message. I just
    told him how unhappy I was about no Win x64 support in DK 10 Pro and
    that I am switching to PerfectDisk!

    Rick, Dec 7, 2005