    battery of my Packard Bell Easynote Notebook?
    XP Pro
    SP2

    cjf, Sep 26, 2005

  2. cjf

    old jon Guest

    Just leave it switched on till it goes flat ?.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Sep 26, 2005

  3. cjf

    cjf Guest

    As strange as it may seem John, I've already tried that and it doesn't
    completely discharge the battery, as a result, I need some other way of
    doing it!
    Thanks Anyway.

    cjf, Sep 26, 2005
  4. Where would you run this software then? If the machine is shutting down
    before the battery is flat you wouldn't be running it on the laptop now
    would you?

    Why don't you remove the battery and short the terminal with a paperclip?

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Sep 26, 2005
  5. cjf

    cjf Guest

    I would run the software on the problem machine, if such software exists.
    Err no!

    cjf, Sep 26, 2005
  6. Lord Gazwad of Grantham wrote:

    Paperclips tend to become solded to the contact strips as soon as they get
    really hot. OPs fingers might also suffer somehow. Said battery will
    probably bulge and explode, leaving a hell of a mess and scars in OPs face
    or somewhere else, unless the battery already is empty or it's a good brand
    with built-in short-circuit protection. In the latter case, it will then
    just be dead.

    DON'T GIVE SUCH FOOLISH ADVICE.

    Walter Mautner, Sep 26, 2005
  7. cjf

    Whiskers Guest

    If the maker thought it was necessary for you to do that, wouldn't there be
    instructions on how to do it somewhere in the manual?

    Whiskers, Sep 26, 2005
  8. cjf

    SgtMinor Guest

    Why would you want to completely discharge this battery? If it's
    Li-Ion, it has no memory and can be safely recharged no matter how much
    charge it holds at the time. If it doesn't hold a charge anymore, it's
    probably time to get a new one.

    SgtMinor, Sep 26, 2005
  9. cjf

    cjf Guest

    No there aren't any instructions on how to do it, thats why I am asking in
    here.

    cjf, Sep 26, 2005
  10. cjf

    cjf Guest

    Because after previously "Googling" for a solution, I was advised to
    completely discharge the battery.

    If it's
    This goes against what I have been advised earlier.

    If it doesn't hold a charge anymore, it's
    I might probably have to get a new one, but I decided to try discharging it
    first!
    Will that be Ok?

    cjf, Sep 26, 2005
  11. cjf

    John Holmes Guest

    cjf blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    I would connect a small lightbulb (same voltage as the battery) to it.
    When the lightbulb goes out, leave it connected for another 24 hours to
    completely drain the battery.

    John Holmes, Sep 26, 2005
  12. cjf

    SgtMinor Guest

    The "memory effect" was ascribed to NiCad batteries and there's some
    debate about it being real or imagined.

    The risks or benefits of a complete discharge depend on the construction
    of the battery. Personally I wouldn't mess with it, and start shopping.

    SgtMinor, Sep 26, 2005
  13. SNIPS

    Get Yourself a 12 volt auto breakligh bulb, ne with only 1 filament.

    Solder a pair 12 inch or so leads to the blub, one on the base point
    and one on the "brass" side.

    Try Rat Shack r some serious eectronics parts store for some small
    alligator or micro clips. Solder one clip to each lead.
    Without knowng what battery you are using, its impossible to tell what
    clips will fit.
    Take the battery with you to the store to try
    some clips until you find the right ones that will hold on.

    Clip one lead from he bulb to each of the battery contacts, bulb should
    glow, and will slowly dischage battery.

    You can do the same thing with a large wattage (1 watt, 5 watt, 400 - 600
    ohms) but you get no visual indication,
    and large wattage resistors can be both hard to find and pricey.

    DO NOT try this with a little cheap assed 1/4 watt or half watt resistor
    from a blister pack at Rat Shack.

    Jim McLaughlin, Sep 26, 2005
  14. cjf

    Kenny Guest

    Rather than short it out put a 12V car bulb across the terminals.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Sep 26, 2005
  15. cjf

    SgtMinor Guest

    SgtMinor, Sep 26, 2005
  16. cjf

    Whiskers Guest

    Then you have a faulty something. Is the computer reporting that it's
    shutting down because of a low battery? Are you getting your usual amount
    of 'up time' from the new battery? Were there any instructions about
    'first time use' or 'first charge' for the new battery? Does the battery
    monitor need to be 're-set'? Is the battery monitor set to shut down when
    the battery gets to '80%'? Does the machine function normally when running
    directly from the mains?

    Whiskers, Sep 27, 2005
  17. cjf

    cjf Guest

    I am fairly new to all this, so please bear with me.
    I have not seen any reports that the computer is shutting down due to a low
    battery, but I hear the warning beeps just before it shuts down. It then
    won't start until I connect it to the mains.

    Are you getting your usual amount
    No I am only getting about 20 mins from each full charge, whereas I should
    be getting up to 2 hrs of use.

    Were there any instructions about
    Yes there were instructions about first charging and I followed them.

    Does the battery
    I don't know how to reset the battery monitor.

    Is the battery monitor set to shut down when
    I can't find this setting anywhere.

    Does the machine function normally when running
    Yes it runs completely normal from the mains.

    cjf, Sep 27, 2005
  18. cjf

    J-McC Guest

    With mobile phone batteries they can be "revived" by putting them in
    the normal part of the refrigerator (in a plastic sandwich bag)
    overnight. When removed from the fridge give it a 10 hour charge.
    Cooling the battery seems to make themmore receptive to recharging.

    It is vital to run a laptop on batteries every so often , perhaps once
    a week, as the older Nicad cells would develop a memory effect and
    would soon have very little capacity, ie they would perform for a
    short time before going flat. The newer type of batteries are much
    better but like the saying with humans "Use it or lose it" applies.

    I just realised why my performance has flagged I am old.!

    I seem to recall my boss had a Toshiba Portege laptop many years ago
    and it had different settings for when it was running on batteries and
    mains power. On battery power the CPU ran slower and consumed less
    power giving less performance but a longer battery life. This can be
    configured with one of the Toshiba utiluties and when she had set it
    for max grunt on batteries they didnt last very long before they
    needed recharging.

    Have a look at this battery company web site
    www.powercell.com.au

    Jim McC

    J-McC, Sep 27, 2005
  19. cjf

    Unk Guest

    Back in the bad-old-days of NICADs, we used to deep discharge them with a pair of 12v auto
    duel-element, taillight bulbs wired in parallel. It should be no problem to locate the ±
    terminals on your battery with a volt meter and jerry-rig an adapter.

    Unk, Sep 27, 2005
  20. cjf wrote:

    It won't even come as far as the bios logo? - A good indication that the
    battery *really* is empty or at least has one defective cell which suddenly
    gets reverse polarity.
    You know, one defective cell can render a whole battery pack useless, and
    the meter won't recognize it.
    You may have a chance of warranty replacement.

    Walter Mautner, Sep 27, 2005