    Is there a sure fire way to stop programs loading at startup e.g. registry
    or some other program that does it permanently!

    thanks for any help

    horizon, Nov 16, 2003

  2. horizon

    °Mike° Guest

    The only way you should stop a program from loading
    at startup, is from it's own 'Preferences' or 'Options'.

    As you have found out, msconfig does not always work.
    It is, in fact, only a diagnostic program.

    What particular programs are you trying to prevent?

    °Mike°, Nov 16, 2003

  3. horizon

    horizon Guest

    hi,

    the others have stopped loading, they do have the option like you say from
    their own program. However this one: Ensoniq mixer whose program is
    starter.exe it puts an icon on the taskbar for audio properties etc. IF
    uncheck in msconfig it still loads...

    any ideas?

    thx

    horizon, Nov 16, 2003
  4. horizon

    horizon Guest

    actually this is a stubborn little one!....i noticed that when i unchecked
    it in msconfig, then after reboot check msconfig it has made a new entry for
    itself checked and the old one is unchecked,,,uncheck again and on reboot
    there is 2 old unchecked and a new checked!...omg

    thx

    horizon, Nov 16, 2003
  5. horizon

    °Mike° Guest

    Check the following places:

    1. Config.sys

    2. Autoexec.bat

    3. Check for the existence of a winstart.bat file.

    4. The Startup folder (Start / Programs / Startup).

    5. The RUN= and LOAD= line in win.ini .

    6. End the particular application *before* rebooting.

    7. The Task Scheduler.

    8. The Registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    9. Remember that some applications can load secondary programs
    or processes at startup.

    °Mike°, Nov 16, 2003
  6. horizon

    Patrick Guest

    Found this,

    http://www.techsupportforum.com/computer/topic/7117-1.html

    <quote>
    Posted by: JoeyL

    With my creative sb 128 you disable it through device manager. There's a tab
    on one of the sound card screens. I don't know if the same option exists on
    the newer live or audigy cards though.
    Joe.
    <unquote>

    Patrick, Nov 16, 2003
  7. horizon

    horizon Guest

    Thanks for that link! I fixed it. It is in the device manager properties for
    the soundcard. However even then I had to reboot and uncheck a few times,
    now it seems gone permanently at last!.

    Seems this problem is not just for me....LOL that guys quote is spot on : I
    guess ensoniq tecs didn't have their best day programming that driver.

    :)

    horizon, Nov 16, 2003
  8. horizon

    Patrick Guest

    Right !! Jolly good,
    Glad you've come to grips with the problem.

    Patrick, Nov 16, 2003
  9. horizon

    Neil Touchet Guest

    Along these same lines:

    How do I remove an entry from msconfig (startup)
    after the referenced program has been deleted from the system?

    This one is driving me bonkers.

    Neil

    Neil Touchet, Nov 16, 2003
  10. horizon