Disabling Internet Gateway

Discussion in 'Broadband Hardware' started by npharrison, Aug 31, 2007.

  1. npharrison

    npharrison Guest

    Hi, I live in the UK and have Sky Broadband Max. This means I pay for a
    service of up to 16Mbps. My usual download speed is 10.4Mbps. I run a Windows
    XP pro machine with 1gb ram. My router is a Netgear DG834GT. I gather that
    Sky have altered the firmware.

    Now the problem I have is the periodic dropping of connection. By this I
    mean I will have days where it stays connected. Then I get periods where it
    will drop evey 6 minutes or so.

    I do have a wireless network, as my son occasionally uses his pc to connect
    using a Belkin Wireless G 54 Mbps network card (that's another story for
    another time).

    I have noticed certain conditions when the connection is more stable than
    other times, hence this question.

    Sometimes when I boot up the pc, it connects automatically. This leaves the
    icon in the systray which says Local Area Connection 100.0Mbps. When I click
    on Network Connections it says SiS 900-Based Fast Ethernet Adapter. When I
    enter the address 192.168.0.1 in my browser, and enter the password, the
    software tells me the speed I am connected at, usually 10.4 Mbps.

    However, sometimes, usually if I have to reboot for some reason, or the
    router is unplugged, another icon appears in the systray. This says Internet
    Connection and either Status: connected or 10.4Mbps. When I click on Network
    Connections there's an icon which says Internet Gateway. Now this seems to
    have an ip address of 192.168.0.2. My son's pc has an address of 192.168.0.3

    Now why do I have this 192.168.0.2 address, when my pc is the one connected
    to the net? And how do I disable it? I click on Disable, and it tells me to
    go to the properties of the shared connection, but it's not mentioned as
    being connected there. And it doesn't always load up at the start, and when
    it's not loaded it's far more stable.

    I also run CMD; netstat, and see which ports are open and which are not.
    When it halts halfway down I know I've got to restart the router.

    Any comments gratefully received.

    npharrison, Aug 31, 2007

  2. npharrison

    Chris H Guest