Disable Windows Zero Config auto discovery?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by SpiritBoy, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. SpiritBoy

    SpiritBoy Guest

    I have 2 wireless LANS setup in the same building, one for the teachers
    and one for the students. I have WPA implemented on the teachers and
    no security for the students. I am using the wireless zero config
    client built in to windows xp sp2. I am having difficulties with the
    teacher's laptop roaming outside of the teachers wireless coverage area
    and then automatically attaching to the students network. The teacher
    then loses access to their resources on the teachers network, not
    realizing what just happen. I would like a way to turn off the auto
    discovering function built in to the zero config client so that it only
    attaches to the teachers wireless network instead of any other network
    that might come into range.

    I have found a wireless client made by Funk, Odyssey, that would
    achieve our goal but it will be too expensive to implement to our 300
    laptops.

    Thanks for your help and time

    Jason

    SpiritBoy, Mar 16, 2005

  2. If the student network is not in the preferred list and on the wireless
    Networks control panel>Advanced >Automatically connect to non-preferred
    networks needs to be unchecked. This combination of settings should not
    have the teacher computers roaming.

    Jim Seifert [MSFT], Mar 19, 2005

  3. You could try disabling the Wireless Zero Config service.

    -Brian

    Brian McMullen, Mar 24, 2005