    close and restart. However, going back to the system configuration utility,
    startup tab, the items are still ticked?

    How do you completely disable them?

    Tim, Aug 2, 2003

  2. Tim

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Tim tried to scribble ...

    > I've noticed that several programs in the startup listing in the
    > system configuration utility, are no longer used. Unticked the items,
    > applied, close and restart. However, going back to the system
    > configuration utility, startup tab, the items are still ticked?
    >
    > How do you completely disable them?

    That would depend upon the specific apps ... Some require a setting changing
    in their options or preferences, some require complete uninstallation, some
    won't stop loading at startup and are generally pains in the neck .. ;)

    Config.sys is really only a 'tool' for diagnosis and testing and shouldn't
    really be used to 'force' the startup list functions. Doing it this way can
    set up conflicts within some apps that want to start.

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    http://www.tvlicensing.biz/

    Paul - xxx, Aug 2, 2003

  3. Tim

    Tim Guest

    > That would depend upon the specific apps ... Some require a setting
    changing
    > in their options or preferences, some require complete uninstallation,

    some
    > won't stop loading at startup and are generally pains in the neck .. ;)
    >
    > Config.sys is really only a 'tool' for diagnosis and testing and shouldn't
    > really be used to 'force' the startup list functions. Doing it this way

    can
    > set up conflicts within some apps that want to start.
    >

    > --
    > ............................Paul - xxx
    > http://www.tvlicensing.biz/
    > Seti 1834 wu in 13977 hours
    > http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

    The applications are completely uninstall and no longer used, yet it is
    still listed in the SYSTEM CONFIGURATION UTILITY, STARTUP TAB.

    Tim, Aug 2, 2003
  4. Tim

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Tim tried to scribble ...

    >> That would depend upon the specific apps ... Some require a setting
    >> changing in their options or preferences, some require complete
    >> uninstallation, some won't stop loading at startup and are generally
    >> pains in the neck .. ;)
    >>
    >> Config.sys is really only a 'tool' for diagnosis and testing and
    >> shouldn't really be used to 'force' the startup list functions.
    >> Doing it this way can set up conflicts within some apps that want to
    >> start.
    >>

    >> --
    >> ............................Paul - xxx
    >> http://www.tvlicensing.biz/
    >> Seti 1834 wu in 13977 hours
    >> http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu
    >>

    > The applications are completely uninstall and no longer used, yet it
    > is still listed in the SYSTEM CONFIGURATION UTILITY, STARTUP TAB.

    You may need to edit the registry then, or use a registry cleanup
    application ..

    I'd guess these apps were either not installed or uninstalled corectly. If
    so, they would normally be removed from the startup list at reboot.

    If you want to do a registry edit, then Start - run - type without quotes
    "regedit" enter

    Navigate to the following keys and delete the apps as required.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    Please note that editing the registry, if done incorrectly, can seriously
    screw the computer. If you're in doubt about this then I suggest a registry
    cleaner such as 'EasyCleaner' http://www.saunalahti.fi/tonihele ... ;)

    Paul - xxx, Aug 2, 2003
  5. Tim

    TCEBob Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > I've noticed that several programs in the startup listing

    in the
    > system configuration utility, are no longer used. Unticked

    the items,
    > applied, close and restart. However, going back to the

    system
    > configuration utility, startup tab, the items are still

    ticked?

    > How do you completely disable them?

    Get a startup utility. Try Starter (freeware):
    ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/micro/pc/simtelnet/win95/desktop/start561.zip
    (watch for word wrap)

    There are others.

    RS

    TCEBob, Aug 2, 2003
  6. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:bgfu57$85t$,
    Tim <> typed
    || I've noticed that several programs in the startup listing in the
    || system configuration utility, are no longer used. Unticked the
    || items, applied, close and restart. However, going back to the system
    || configuration utility, startup tab, the items are still ticked?
    || How do you completely disable them?

    You might try this little beauty:
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    In news:bgfu57$85t$,