    why can't the big wig's do something ie nikon/canon.surely when digi slr's are manufactured it would be easy enough to enclose the
    sensor in some type of vacum.thus the sensor needing minimal maintenance.your thought's please boy's n girl's.rgds to all from
    TBM...

    tbm, Jun 3, 2005

  2. Well, they do put the sensor behind a filter that can be cleaned. Dust
    *on* the sensor (behind the IR filter) is really rare. Whatever you
    "enclose" it in, would still be a delicate optical surface, and would
    require the same care to clean it.

    James Of Tucson, Jun 3, 2005

  3. tbm

    Ron Guest

    Very good question. I have an Olympus E-300 with a dust shaker and so
    far not a speck, despite heavy use and lots of lens changing. Either
    Olympus has a lock on the best technology or the other companies. I
    suppose it would drive up the price and since Nikon and Canon can sell
    about as many cameras as they can make why bother? I do find it
    interesting that American critics go easier on them than do some foreign
    photo mags.

    Ron, Jun 3, 2005