"Directory Service is currently unavailable"

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have no idea if this is the right place to post this - if it's not, my
    apologies...

    Every once in a while, for no particular reason that I can fathom, when I
    click on the "Find Printer" in the Print dialog box, I get the "Find..."
    window grayed out and covered with a dialog box stating "Directory Service is
    currently unavailable".

    I am on a small home network and am working wirelessly from a laptop to
    connect to certain printers in other rooms. I CAN see them if I select
    "Printers and Faxes" from the "Start" menu - but can't access them from the
    program I'm trying to print from (Word mostly). Just this a.m. I used the
    "Find Printer" several times no problem - then a little while later I got the
    above error messge. I've searched and searched the KB and these boards and
    just don't find anything about this.

    Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? Thanks mucho in
    advance - I'm ready to get out the hammer....>:-|

    Sys Info:

    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gateway
    System Model: Solo 9300 Pro
    BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
    Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~640MHz
    Memory: 416MB RAM
    Page File: 426MB used, 562MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

    -- To reply directly take out the ".not." in the address:
    .

    Guest, Dec 16, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 16, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The printer isn't connected to this computer - it's on the network and works
    fine if I plug it in directly to the USB. It's just that I can't find ANY
    printers on the network when I go to print ("Find Printer") and get the error
    message.

    Anyhow, thanks for your reply - will repost to correct forum (thanks for
    letting me know!! - oh those newbies...)

    Rgds,
    Susie

    Guest, Dec 16, 2005
  4. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 16, 2005