Directly connecting two sepertate private networks

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Brian, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Here's my situation:
    I work for the state and we have an office that needs to access
    resources on the city's private network in which they reside.
    Up till now, (and I didn't know this) they have two pc's on certain
    users desks.
    They have been provided a microwave link to access the city's network.
    The city's router is located next to ours.

    What I am trying to do is eliminate the second computer.
    We have a cisco 2600 with one ethernet interface.
    I subnetted the fast ethernet interface in order to create two vlans
    on the switch.
    I am going to have the city connect to a port accessing the second
    vlan.

    Does this scenario sound feasible?
    I think it will work but I feel like I'm missing something, but I
    don't know what.

    Thanks for any advice,
    Brian

    Brian, Jun 18, 2004

  2. Brian

    Kevin Widner Guest

    I guess the main question when you connect two networks (as long as
    they both use the same protocol) is addressing. You want to make sure
    you don't run into any addressing conflicts. If you operate the
    smaller network, it would probably be easier to talk with one of the
    administrators at the city and have them assign an IP segment that
    fits into their addressing scheme. Either way, you both need to agree
    on an acceptable subnet. I say this because I assume you are using
    private addresses. You don't want to use an address space that they
    already use elsewhere on their network.

    Kevin

    Kevin Widner, Jun 18, 2004