    Any ideas if it's supposed to operate at that heat, or if something is
    going wrong and it's likely to get damaged?

    Cheers.

    DB, Sep 5, 2005

  2. First time I've seen this asked, and it's a good question. I'm sorry I
    don't have an answer, but...

    Do/did those sticks have those little aluminum (or other metal) heat
    sinks/radiators? I honestly don't know how much good those do, but I
    see them at the store as accessories and I see some apparently
    higher-end sticks with them pre-installed. Just tossing out an idea
    for the one(s) you have left.

    Anybody else got any input on these sinks? Use them? Do they help?

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 5, 2005

  3. DB

    DB Guest

    Cheers Mr Shark.

    Yes they do come with the nice shiny gold heat spreaders.

    The heat spreaders are usually copper when bought separately, and
    attached to the individual ram chips by thermal interface pads (not
    the grease). I think the ones on Ballistix are aluminium coated in
    gold paint.

    Any effect they have on the chips is marginal, they will assist in
    dissipating heat, if there is active airflow over the sinks as they
    will increase the surface area of the hot area.

    They're mainly just for show though.

    I used to have 'OTES ramflow' which is just a name for a cleverly
    mounted pair of fans blowing down on the RAM modules. But as I was
    removing them last night to memtest individual modules, I haven't
    remounted it. Currently the RAM is running at SPD, and the 2.8v they
    are rated for.

    DB, Sep 5, 2005
  4. DB

    Unk Guest

    Memory Cooling Kits
    http://www.directron.com/a1092.html
    http://www.logisyscomputer.com/viewsku.asp?SKUID=MH101SL&DID=COOLDEV
    http://www.casecooler.com/3mcosdddrmeh.html
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=1219&cat=0&page=

    Unk, Sep 5, 2005
  5. Damn. There goes *that* possible help. :)
    Come to think of it I think I've seen both aftermarket styles on the
    pegboard hooks.
    That'd apply here, as I have a 120mm case-side fan blowing fresh air
    directly down on the CPU/RAM end of the mobo.
    Wondered. You rate them of marginal benefit; that's kind of what my
    uneducated take was on them (thus my curiosity).
    Interesting; I'd not seen this product.

    http://www.abit-usa.com/innovations/otesramflow.php

    I've got a Vantec copper chipset cooler[1] here, much like that one, that
    I've never used -- I confess buying it because it's shiny and pretty. :)
    Maybe next time I power down...

    [1]http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/vantec.jpg

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 5, 2005
  6. DB

    DB Guest

    Clipped a bit.

    Well, it turns out the other module has either gone dodgy, or was
    dodgy.

    The first module gave out over 1000 errors in under 35 seconds of
    memtest last night.

    The other gave none in 2 minutes.

    At that point it seemed obvious what the problem was - especially as
    hardware doesn't really 'go' very often.

    Was getting errors in windows, so I closed agent on the way to shut
    down - at which point I get a blue screen and a reboot.

    Test the module for 15 minutes, and it comes up with 2 errors.

    So I'm down to a backup stick I had lying around, which runs a lot
    cooler (I fitted the copper cooler on it myself) and generates no
    errors.

    Unfortunatly it borked Agent, and while I've not lost a lot of data,
    it did lose everything from this group, so I've replied to this
    message rather than the original message, which I'd have preferred to
    reply to.

    Anyway, it seems the Ballistix coolers are nothing more than bling,
    and the Akasa copper ones may be a little better than nothing. In
    addition the Ballistix memory, while rated a lot higher, runs hot. I
    don't know if it's the heat that's killed it. But this generic memory
    is running a lot cooler.

    Thankfully I live right close to Crucial (they make Ballistix) in the
    UK. So in a couple of days I'll go up there and see what they have to
    say about it.

    I can't really draw conclusions about the reliability of the memory,
    only that the 2 I have, have both gone faulty, and they were bought
    second hand unused, from someone who had to send their original sticks
    back.

    They're a LOT more expensive than generic memory,and the only
    advantage running at A64 stock is CAS latency of 2 rather than 2.5 -
    all other timings being the same - which is a tiny tiny benefit that
    you'd stuggle to even see on benchmarks.

    Thanks for the replies folks.

    DB, Sep 5, 2005