Dimdows Genuine Disadvantage

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. Long catalogue of complaints
    <http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2006/7/24/8477/16185> about the
    problems caused to legitimate users by Microsoft's "Windows Genuine
    Advantage" licence-checking system:

    With neither Microsoft or Dell willing to help in a situation where the
    reader's company clearly had valid licenses for XP, the reader had
    little choice. "So, here we are, working weekend hours and all,
    reinstalling XP on machines that shouldn't have to be reinstalled," the
    reader wrote. "And of course, Microsoft makes you call to validate
    Windows XP. The first machine we try, their outsourced validation firm
    agrees that the Product Key is valid - but won't issue an Activation
    Code. There's a problem that they can't figure out. That, they say,
    requires Customer Support. Customer Support agrees that the code is
    valid, and can't say why it might not work, and we need to speak with
    Technical Support. Unfortunately, Technical Support is closed. Could we
    perhaps call back on Monday?"

    As the reader and staff worked their way through re-activating each
    Optiplex, they found the more typical pattern was to be told the best
    answer to pay Microsoft more money.

    "A Mr. Rajiv Malhotra with Microsoft's New Delhi office told me that
    installing software -- any software -- can trigger the activation
    process all over again. And that condition extends to third party
    software. A Mike Russell, also with Microsoft and somewhere in Eastern
    Europe, I think, confirmed that Microsoft may choose to require
    reactivation at any time, for any reason - and that installing
    third-party applications from companies like Adobe could very well
    trigger reactivation."

    By the way, one of the reader comments offers a tip on which files to back
    up to save your WGA settings, so you can try a restore in case it starts
    insisting your copy of Dimdows is no longer genuine.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 27, 2007

  2. Interesting I have five current Windows boxes here, plus a couple in the
    last two years, all running Windows and never had problems with activation
    after the first install.

    Also "A Mike Russell with Microsoft somewhere in Eastern Europe" is clearly
    a non-valid source. Is it possible to get specific name and location? If
    not, how can this be verified?

    All very FUD I think.

    Mauricio Freitas, Jan 28, 2007

  3. Well then, how about this report of false positives
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/04/microsoft_wga-validation_snafu/>,
    and these WGA lawsuits <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32729>,
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/07/wga_disadvantage/>,
    <http://news.com.com/Microsoft+faces+second+WGA+lawsuit/2100-1014_3-6090651.html>.
    Also the fact that, even though about a hundred million copies of Dimdows
    have been flagged by WGA as fake, there were only 56,000 reports by
    customers of copies being actually fake
    <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37160>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 28, 2007
  4. "... after the first install." IOW, YES - you've had problems with
    "activation".

    I note that Micro$oft is again fighting *another* antitrust lawsuit.

    Did you keep that free laptop that Micro$oft gave you?

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 28, 2007
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    joe_90 Guest

    I have.

    Try rebooting your PC with the network connection disabled.

    Second thoughts, don't try unless you want a day of grief.

    joe_90, Jan 28, 2007

  6. Yes, I did. And I disclosed it in my blog. Did you read it or decided to
    ignore and only remember what's convenient?

    Mauricio Freitas, Jan 28, 2007

  7. Many times had no network connection at all and didn't have problems. On my
    laptops for example... Not every time I boot them I have a network around.

    Mauricio Freitas, Jan 28, 2007

  8. By the way, it did not come from Microsoft alone. You should also talk bad
    about ADM and Acer, since they co-sponsored the laptops.

    Mauricio Freitas, Jan 28, 2007
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    joe_90 Guest

    I can see you're not a network technician :)

    I too have had absolutely no problems with booting a networked PC with
    no network connection present. However, there is a significant
    difference between 'no network present' and 'network connection disabled'.

    joe_90, Jan 28, 2007

  10. Good point and true... I just don't have reason to disable the network
    really. But I wil try sometime :)

    Mauricio Freitas, Jan 28, 2007
  11. Hi there,

    Whether it be FUD or not its worth completely ignoring these kind
    of posts from Lawrence and his mate Dianthus. As a dedicated Linux
    user and fan it disgusts me that these two continue to post their
    stuff into this newsgroup. They are worse than the worst Windows
    zealots.

    Ignore them Mauricio, Linux deserves better than to have those two
    on its side...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 28, 2007
  12. Archer Daniels Midland paid for a laptop for you!?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 28, 2007
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Lim Guest

    Every time I see them use "Micro$oft" or "Dimdows" it makes me cringe
    and makes it hard to take them seriously at all, even if they do have
    valid points. Is that common behaviour for geek-boys in the Linux
    world or is it just them? (serious question, I honestly can't keep up
    with what's considered cool these days).

    Chris Lim, Jan 28, 2007
  14. For what purpose do you have a "blog"?

    And why should I want to read it? Do you have useful tips about using
    Linux or FreeBSD? Do you review non-Micro$oft software?

    Didn't Micro$oft change tunes and tell all those recipients to give the
    laptops away after you did the "review"?

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 28, 2007

  15. You know which company I mean. Sorry for the dyslexi keyboard user...

    Mauricio Freitas, Jan 28, 2007

  16. Well it looks like you know I have a laptop from them. So you should read my
    blog to find my point of view on this.

    Obviously you didn't bother reading my blog to find out what was happening,
    so why should I bother justifying it here to you? Actually I owe you
    nothing, so I won't.

    Take care, sleep well.

    Mauricio Freitas, Jan 28, 2007

  17. By the way, I don't do "Microsoft only" stuff. Check this post
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/Geekzone/2103

    Go suck it up now.

    Mauricio Freitas, Jan 28, 2007
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Scott Lemon Guest

    No, they're genuinely idiots.

    They seem to think that Micro$oft or "Dimdows" is uproariously funny and
    incredibly clever, when in reality it's so lame even a 6 year old would
    disown it.

    Scott Lemon, Jan 28, 2007
  19. Are you even running WGA? It's not really been around all that long - I only
    found that I was required to 'validate' my XP install about 9 months ago when I
    needed to download the .net runtimes from MS. And I prudently got around
    installing WGA by using the 'verification tool'(or whatever it's called)
    instead.

    It's just another 'Big Brother' intrusive snooping piece of shite that does
    [deity of your choice] knows what all the time your machine is running. No, I
    don't need that.

    It's different from activation.

    The only 'advantage' I can see about it is ... er, um .... errrr ... for Mickey
    $oft so they can snoop? All your computers is belong to us!

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jan 28, 2007
  20. "Micro$oft" or "Mickey$oft" as derogatory terms have been around for a long
    long time, certainly longer than your Linux apostles, and I have no problems
    with either when used where the company engages in anticompetitive,
    monopolistic behaviour and (in case of the latter term) throws inferior product
    on the market and uses it's branding and near monopoly to make people pay for
    it. I could give countless examples with Word 2, Access and Visual Basic ...
    but I haven't used nor followed those applications for well over 10 years now -
    my impression is they have improved considerably. But they were pretty Mickey
    Mouse to start with.

    Gods, I remember trying to debug my VB code for some accounting software for
    about a week, before I found out that the code for the IF NOT THEN operation
    was broken and gave *random* returns. I was spitting Brass Tacks (and rewrote
    the whole shebang in Delphi shortly after).

    "Dimdows" on the other hand: ye gods. Cringe making, indeed.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 28, 2007