Dimdows Command-Line: Can't Live With It, Can't Live Without It

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 16, 2009.

  1. About 1490 hits for
    <http://www.google.com/search?q="type+cmd"+site:support.microsoft.com>,
    including this rather delightful one on "common file and registry
    virtualization issues in Windows Vista"
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387>:

    1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box, and then
    click cmd.exe in the Programs list.
    2. In the Programs list, right-click cmd, and then click Run as
    administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password
    or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
    3. Type MyAppsPath/MyApp, and then press ENTER. MyAppsPath/MyApp
    represents the path and the name of the application.

    Lovely way to run an app, isn't it? Oh, and shouldn't that be
    "MyAppsPath\MyApp"?

    Interestingly, my search for Registry edits
    <http://www.google.com/search?q="type+regedit"+site:support.microsoft.com>
    now claims to return only "about 3580" hits, down from over 4600 when I
    tried it earlier this year
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/573e111445d03362>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 16, 2009

  2. Just to add to the fun, Microsoft has added some new command-line
    enhancements to Windows 7. That's right--new features to the command line,
    that you're not supposed to need on a Dimdows system?

    One of the enhancements is a new command TZUTIL.EXE for getting and setting
    timezone information. Nifty idea. Should be even more useful to be able to
    combine this with Microsoft's super-duper object-oriented PowerShell CLI,
    shouldn't it?

    Except it isn't that straightforward
    <http://blogs.technet.com/jamesone/a...ng-lists-to-objects-in-powershell-tzutil.aspx>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 16, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Cima Guest

    Cima, Aug 16, 2009
  4. Oh dear...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 16, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Carnations Guest

    That was actually a good idea. I've now done the same too.

    Carnations, Aug 16, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    No matter what he does, you don't speak for anyone.

    victor, Aug 16, 2009
  7. Then you wouldn't have seen his posting advising you to do it. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 17, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    It is obvious from his post he did so *after* reading the post
    advising him to do so.

    JohnO, Aug 17, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    greg Guest

    ^^^^^^

    ..........so you are tell me I don't speak for myself???, I do, and just
    read *any* thread involving larry and you will see there are numerous
    people who are sick of his dribble.

    greg, Aug 17, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    All I hear is you whining.

    victor, Aug 17, 2009
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    greg Guest

    Take a long hard look, are defending this tosspot larry? or are you just
    board?

    he is a waste of oxygen, someone ask a serious question on whatever
    topic (but mostly something to do with windows) and he turns it in to a
    lets hate windows/love linux troll, and myself and many other are right
    royally pissed off with it.

    greg, Aug 17, 2009
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Then its a successful troll, mission accomplished.
    Most of the Linux users here would use Windows as well, yet all I had to
    do was post a link to some linux guides and here come the haters. Woger
    changes the thread title Max tells us its not yet adequate for his
    advanced purposes, Laurence has a go at Max, its what they do, its like
    a bunch of embarrassing aunties that tell the same stories every time
    you visit.

    victor, Aug 17, 2009