Dimage Z3 - black pictures in UHS mode

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I didn't see any traffic on this subject so perhaps it's just me...

    I've recently bought a Z3 and it appears to have an odd fault. When
    shooting in either of the UHS ('ultra high speed', saving 15x images at
    10fps) modes the LCD screen goes black. The sequence of events is:

    1) hold down shutter button, LCD goes black (can still hear the shutter
    cycling).
    2) release shutter button, get hourglass symbol on LCD and 'data write'
    light comes on.
    3) data write finishes, LCD remains black although the various HUD
    symbols are visible.

    At that point I have to cycle the power to take any more shots. It's
    definitly doing something - I get 15 nice, completely black images, but
    nothing more than that.

    Anyone seen anything similar?

    Chris.

    Chris, Oct 3, 2005

  2. --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
    ? "Chris" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > I didn't see any traffic on this subject so perhaps it's just me...
    >
    > I've recently bought a Z3 and it appears to have an odd fault. When
    > shooting in either of the UHS ('ultra high speed', saving 15x images at
    > 10fps) modes the LCD screen goes black. The sequence of events is:
    >
    > 1) hold down shutter button, LCD goes black (can still hear the shutter
    > cycling).
    > 2) release shutter button, get hourglass symbol on LCD and 'data write'
    > light comes on.
    > 3) data write finishes, LCD remains black although the various HUD
    > symbols are visible.
    >
    > At that point I have to cycle the power to take any more shots. It's
    > definitly doing something - I get 15 nice, completely black images, but
    > nothing more than that.
    >
    > Anyone seen anything similar?
    >
    > Chris.

    Yes-I think most digital cameras do this.To save power, they don't display
    the photo on the lcd display, but they leave it blac(n)k.

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Oct 3, 2005

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
    > --
    > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    > major in electrical engineering, freelance electrician
    > FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker
    > dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
    > ? "Chris" <> ?????? ??? ??????

    [my message snipped]

    > Yes-I think most digital cameras do this.To save power, they don't display
    > the photo on the lcd display, but they leave it blac(n)k.

    Thanks for your reply, but I think you may have misunderstood.

    The camera actually appears to have 'crashed', ie after trying to take
    in UHS mode I can no longer get a live image through the lcd (and have
    to cycle the power to get the camera to work again). The stored images
    are also black. In every other mode the camera functions as expected
    (ie after recording an image the lcd displays a 'live' image).

    Chris, Oct 3, 2005