    Also - long shot! - can anybody confirm how well (or not) the Dimage A1
    handles Infra-red phography - with a Hoya R72 or similar?

    M.

    Magus, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Magus

    Geoff Hirst Guest

    Magus,

    Camera is fabulous. Don't regret the £800 spent one bit. All pictures that I
    have had from it have been a1 for quality if not subject.

    You can have either the viewfinder on and when you move your eye away the
    rear screen comes on. It works very well. However, dust does accumulate in
    here, but as yet it has not affected performance.

    The only problem I have been having is sourcing accessories.

    regards

    AT

    Geoff Hirst, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Magus

    Scott Barnes Guest

    Hi Magus,

    I like mine, but unfortunately haven't had enough time to play. Just done
    enough to learn the basics so far. Very pleased with the quality. Off to
    Disney in a week, so I should be in more of a position to say.

    You might want to check out:

    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1024

    Scott

    Scott Barnes, Nov 4, 2003
  4. About a week and a half....!

    As well as these answers, see the following websites:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a1.html
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1024
    It's well thought of, as was the previous models in the range (the &
    and 7Hi).
    Many people speak highly of it. If there's any comment, its that some
    people perceive slightly higher noise with the A1 than other 5MP
    cameras.

    This may show up when magnified on a PC monitor, but doesn't
    necessarily show on printed output. In addition, Minolta may have
    chosen to err on the side of providing both "detail" and noise, rather
    than suppress both.

    Finally, I have had a range of results which I partly put down to
    getting used to using a digital camera (this is my first). However, I
    have printed two onto A3 paper (11.7" x 16.5") that are clear and
    sharp as a razor.
    Yes, it's pretty good. I am still getting used to the placement of the
    controls (only had it a week and a half - 300 shots so far) but I'm
    getting used to it. The *best* thing for me is the zoom and manual
    focus control. The zoom is via a manual collar on the lens (just like
    a traditional 35mm film camera) which I find easier than the more
    common rocker switches on digicams. Only a few cameras have a useable
    manual focus (and the A1 gives you an 8x zoom in the viewfinder to
    make manual focus easier).
    Yes, it seems to work ok. Because I was raised on 35mm film cameras, I
    still use the viewfinder to compose shots and only use the LCD to
    review them afterwards. The EVF is quite bright and copes well with
    different light levels (I've taken quite a few night time shots with
    no problems). You should try this out in a shop as an EVF is quite
    different to an optical viewfinder .
    Don't know.

    Do you actually need to take photographs with the IR part of the
    spectrum or are you just after the effect that Infra Red film used to
    give? If the latter, could you use effects in Photoshop?

    If the former, why not visit the Minolta website or email them?

    Colin

    Colin Malsingh, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Magus

    Magus Guest

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 21:10:53 +0000, Colin Malsingh wrote:

    <snip>

    Thanks for taking the time Colin

    Magus, Nov 9, 2003