Dilemma Google page won't open with any of four browsers??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Knowledge, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    All of a sudden, within the last day, or two, on my primary computer I
    can no longer get to "Google" when I type in www.google.com

    I just get a page saying it isunable to communicate with that site.

    On my other computer just to my right,which is older, slower, and less
    ram, I can go to Google and everywhere else just fine.

    I have run ad-a-ware, Spybot, and WEbroot version 5.2, but none of
    them fix the situation. Ad-a-ware did fix the problem of Internet
    Explore homepage being hijacked thankfully.

    I don't IE normally. I use fireFox version 2, Mozilla, Opera, and
    Netscape.

    When I launched "Netscape" just now it said "The Connection refused
    when attempting to contact www.google.com ???

    WTF is going here?

    One computer makes the trip OK, and the other doesn't no matter what
    browser I use. I have cleared cookies, and files; also wiped out
    History. :-(

    Knowledge, Jan 27, 2007

  2. Knowledge

    Whiskers Guest

    Have you set up any sort of 'site blocking' or 'content blocking' on the
    problem computer? (A 'hosts' file, perhaps?).

    Whiskers, Jan 27, 2007

  3. Knowledge

    Pennywise Guest

    Start | Run <type in>
    CMD /K IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
    <enter>

    The first thing you should try when this happens.

    Pennywise, Jan 27, 2007
  4. Knowledge

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    Hi Pennywise
    just wondering (in case something like that ever happens to me)
    - which versions of Windows does this command apply to?
    Something tells me it wouldn't do anything in 95B or 98SE...
    Right?

    Thanks
    t.

    thanatoid, Jan 27, 2007
  5. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    Hi Governor,

    It didn't change anything.

    I also discovered just now that under Firefox, I look for "tools-clear
    private data"

    It is worded differently from other browsers, but it clears files,
    cookies, and other stuff.

    I did that, but still no cigar.

    I can surf to any website online except "GOOGLE"

    This is very disturbing... :-(

    Has Google started the practice of blocking people whose opinions they
    don't like?

    Knowledge, Jan 27, 2007
  6. Knowledge

    Pennywise Guest

    It's a standard windows command, (all versions) all the way down to
    the CMD /K (unsure about win95).

    NETSTAT is another command you should get to know.

    Pennywise, Jan 27, 2007
  7. Knowledge

    Pennywise Guest

    Other things to try, Reboot the computer, unplug the modem for awhile
    to reset it, and pass you off to others who have had the same problem
    http://tinyurl.com/2vsjam

    We'd lose Google Groups if that were their policy :)

    Pennywise, Jan 27, 2007
  8. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    Yes, I suppose you are correct. I see so much infantile thinking
    online that I notice people tend to become angry, or frightened
    whenever I try and explain to them why some tings going on on the
    world scene are the result of paranoid, psychotic, megalomaniac
    thinking. Since the people who disagree with me usually have all of
    the POWER to shut things down, or turn them on, people like me get
    excluded.

    Long live Jane Fonda, Conyers, Martin Sheen, Danny glover, Susan
    Sarandon, and of course the genius of all geniuses, moi! :)

    I'll do as you say governor ma'am. :)

    P.S. Tell me have you ever heard of "Governor Vaughn?"

    Knowledge, Jan 27, 2007
  9. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    Governor mon Cherie,

    I typed in these numbers:

    http://72.14.207.99/

    The computer went immediately to the Google homepage and I was then
    able to use all the features available from the homepage.

    However when I type in www.google.com

    It still times out and says it can't connect?

    Hope this helps.

    Knowledge, Jan 27, 2007
  10. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    Anyone notice how fast the help stopped after this post? This is why I
    wondered if Google censured people. :)

    Knowledge, Jan 28, 2007
  11. Knowledge

    Pennywise Guest

    That's exactly what IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS is suppose to fix.

    This command fails for me, I run a HOSTS file and have the DNS cache
    disabled.

    Just for the yell of it, try this:

    Start | Run <type in>
    SERVICES.MSC
    <enter>

    Find DNS Client, double click on it, Stop, disable, apply.

    If it works great, if not just reverse the process.

    As for a host file you really should run one, just for the web ads
    alone.

    What it is: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The one I use: http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts save as HOSTS
    and place in the appropriate place.

    Pennywise, Jan 28, 2007
  12. Knowledge

    Pennywise Guest

    Give me a break, I just woke up :)

    And started searching for Governor Vaughn, nada ,

    I'm wondering if my DerryMaine.Gov address is throwing you, it's just
    used to compliment the Pennywise handle.

    Pennywise, Jan 28, 2007
  13. Knowledge

    nobody > Guest

    Two problems:
    CMD.exe is W2K and XPs version of Command.com in 9x windows. Either one
    will get you a "DOS Box" in the appropriate OS, but the wrong one gets
    you nowhere.

    I don't have a W98 box handy to verify IPCONFIG, but I don't think it's
    a 9x command. I *do* know 9x windows uses WINIPCFG but that doesn't have
    a DNS flush option by itself.I suspect it happens with "release all".
    FWIW, WINIPCFG doesn't need a DOS box.

    Netstat's good in 9x and NT flavored Windows tho.

    nobody >, Jan 28, 2007
  14. Knowledge

    nobody > Guest

    Verizon DSL users get a similar problem from time to time. VZ tech
    suppoert cures it by having the user plug the IPs of VZ's nameservers
    into the router's configuration. I'm not saying this is *the* answer,
    but it can't hurt to try it.

    You might go to http://www.dslreports.com/comment/1581/59507 and see if
    there's been any similar issues with Charter.

    nobody >, Jan 28, 2007
  15. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    Signora Penny,

    Here is the information on Governor Vaughn :)
    Look at paragraph numbered #21, line 6 in that paragraph

    http://www.herald-review.com/blogs/marktupper/?p=173

    This is my cousin. His grandfather and my father were first cousins.
    They did their thing together
    http://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/team/manniebio.asp

    Ok, I'll try that one now.

    Merci beaucoup madam.

    Just one of those things that make you go hummmm.

    Who deserves to be impeached and imprisoned the most?
    A president receiving face from an adult willing female?

    Or a president who lies to over four billion people
    worldwide and then orders the attack and destruction
    of hundreds of thousands of innocents, 1,600 American
    GI'S killed and over 25,000 permanently disfigured?

    Intelligent, non racially biased minds such as mine know the easy answer to this question. Do you?

    Knowledge, Jan 28, 2007
  16. Knowledge

    Pennywise Guest

    I think your on to something here, about being blocked - unless these
    are ADs or scams, then the appropriate measures have been taken.
    Group Not Found

    There is no group called the_big_picture. Please make sure you typed
    the web address correctly. If you have done so, the group may no
    longer exist.
    Group Not Found

    There is no group called New_Orleans_Biz_Opportunity. Please make sure
    you typed the web address correctly. If you have done so, the group
    may no longer exist.
    You may also search or browse for groups on the Yahoo! Groups Home
    Page.

    Pennywise, Jan 28, 2007
  17. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    well,

    I got into it, but I don't know where to go from there. I'm in
    a box called "Services (local)"

    Knowledge, Jan 28, 2007
  18. Knowledge

    thanatoid Guest

    Thanks both for your comments.

    I am familiar with some online-related commands (although I have
    abandoned netstat in favor of a small Win32 utility, which for
    some reason is about 25 times faster) but it was the flushing-
    of-DNS I didn't think would do anything in 95.

    I humble myself in my ignorance before you... what is the /K
    switch?
    (before I actually try it...) It is not mentioned in the MS DOS
    5 manual (the latest one I could find).

    Thanks.

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2007
  19. Knowledge

    Pennywise Guest

    Alphabetical order, DNS Client, double click on it.

    (standard view is a bit easier)

    Pennywise, Jan 28, 2007
  20. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    Thanks!

    I didn't intend to send that one.

    Those are discussion groups on Yahoo that I have moderated from ten
    years or so. I changed the names to something else last year.

    Also Agent crashed a few days ago, and now my signatures are not
    where/what I thought they were. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
    I don't normally use that one when I'm requesting help. As you can see
    that will anger a lot of a certain mentality of human :)

    It's still true none-the-less.
    The truth is not "Liberal" or"conservative" It is simply the truth and
    it stands on it's own.

    If I say the Sun this time of year rises in the East, or near East and
    sets in the West, or near west all across the Americas, that is a true
    statement. No one should turn around and then ask me if I'm a liberal,
    or a conservative.

    Right? :) Do you ask your doctor or dentist, or psychiatrist what
    their affiliation is? It shouldn't matter. If they went to school to
    learn to pull teeth, they both should pull them in the same manner;
    unless you get one of these Internet dentists who tie your tooth to a
    door, and then slam the door quickly. :)

    Oh well, what the Hades! rock the Discotech!

    That is my normal signature now. :)

    www.frutavida.com/2283012

    www.tryfrutavida.com/2283012

    Knowledge, Jan 28, 2007