    that really can do the conversion easily? Silverfast AI has the NegaFix
    feature--really terrific, but the conversion is done before scanning.

    Thanks in advance.

    MB, Jan 14, 2007

  2. MB

    Mike Russell Guest

    One way is to buy vuescan, which will convert negatives for you. There is a
    free tryout version so you can see if it works first with your scanner.
    www.hamrick.com/

    Another is to use the levels command in Elements to invert the colors.
    There is a small trick involved in subtracting the orange mask. In levels,
    click the black and white eyedroppers on an area of max density and clear
    orange mask, respectively. Then it's a matter of inverting the image to get
    your final result. Better yet, invert the end points of the RGB sliders to
    do an inversion in a single levels operation that you may save this for your
    other images.

    This is documented a little more at the curvemeister site, using levels, but
    you adapt this technique to use levels (scroll down to the "To copy and
    invert color negatives using a digicam" section :
    http://www.curvemeister.com/tutorials/what_ails_you/index.htm

    Mike Russell, Jan 14, 2007

  3. MB

    Cgiorgio Guest

    Dedicated film scanners give far better results than flatbed scanners. If
    you do not already have a slide duplicator and a suitable light source I
    would not consider that an option. Quality will be mediocre (6 MP digicam is
    more like a 2 MP scan because of the Bayer pattern structure on the sensor).
    I would have a look at the Plustek Optic Film 7200 (just Google for it for
    latest info) which comes with Silverfast SE and is available at less then
    200 Euro, at less then 300 Euro with infrared scratch detection / removal.
    The scanner software has preset profiles for different brands / types of
    negative film - something you find in none of the image editors. You can
    find some more info on the www.plustek.com website.

    Cgiorgio, Jan 14, 2007
  4. MB

    MB Guest

    Thanks so much for the info about Plustek. I've looked at the site and will
    consider it. A bit of a shock was the fact that Silverfast's dust/scratch
    removal feature brings the scan of one image to 38 minutes!!

    The Vuescan suggestion is also sound advice. A comparison of Vuescan and
    Silverfast dust/scratch removers showed Vuescan to be far superior.

    Thanks to both posters.

    MB, Jan 14, 2007
  5. MB

    dennis@home Guest

    I have just finished scanning 3000 negatives on a HP 7890.
    It works well and you can do 30 35mm negs at a time..
    load it and select the settings for each and go away for a couple of hours
    or more at 2400dpi, more at 4800dpi (max optical resolution).
    You don't use 4800 dpi unless you want the grain on the film BTW.
    It will cope with quite a lot of overexposure of negs but there is nothing
    there with a lot of under exposure (the opposite of digital cameras/slides)

    dennis@home, Jan 15, 2007
  6. MB

    tomm42 Guest

    Check out the Epson V700, better than most dedicated slide scanners
    (beats most of the 2700ppi scanners, can't quite meet the Nikon 4000ppi
    versions). 3200ppi with Digital Ice 3 takes 6-8 minutes, works well.
    Yes around $500 but a good scanner.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 15, 2007