Digitized Photos to CD to Television Display?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim Mohundro, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. Jim Mohundro

    Jim Mohundro Guest

    I just acquired a digital scanner and digital camera during the holidays.
    Here's what I want to do:

    After I've digitized my photos, I want to use the CD burner on my Dell 8300
    to burn CDs which will store the photos, which then can be displayed on a
    conventional television screen by using my Panasonic DVD player (which, as
    most DVD players do, also plays audio CDs) to play the CDs. I realize DVDs
    would contain much more material but I'm not ready to install a DVD burner
    in my computer if I don't have to.

    I'm guessing, but I may be wrong, that some kind of NTSC format must be
    created on the CD (as I assume is created by a DVD recorder on a DVD) to
    provide the correctly coded output from the DVD player to the television set
    for photos. These would be conventional still pictures, not videos.

    What I want to do is create more convenient (for me) "slide shows" that will
    bore my guests without my having to trot out the slide projector and screen.
    Could an audio track and/or titles be added to run with the digitized
    photos? Is this a more appropriate job for MS Powerpoint or does, for
    example, one of the Nero software product fit my needs?

    (I emailed Nero a couple of days ago but have not received an answer).

    Jim Mohundro, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Screw Nero. I don't understand why there software cannot create a
    multisession music disc where if you want to add more songs to existing
    songs it will add them and not at the cost of completely forbidding you from
    accessing your first batch of songs..ok my rant is over.

    I have done what you want to do in a limited way. I believe I did use Nero
    but the pictures sucked for whatever reason. I know the hard to use Pixella
    software that came with my Sony p92 last week has the option of creating a
    vcd and adding audio and all that. I believe it is called making a VCD. It
    simply takes your pictures and puts it on a cd with a regular burner. Then
    you put it in your dvd player and you have a slideshow. It mentions
    something about adding audio and all that but I haven't done it. I suspect
    if your dvd player is a few years old it should play these discs without a
    problem. I believe the dvd player must be VCD compatible. I don't recall
    if it is called VCD or not.

    So basically all you have here is a minor software issue, assuming your dvd
    player is compatible. Try your nero if it doesn't work then it probably is
    your dvd player not being compatible. No problem there since a new one is
    only $50 on up. If it does work and you don't like the Nero then get a
    more professional software package for about $50-$100.

    Good Luck

    CaptainKrunch

    CaptainKrunch, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Or, you could make a Kodak PhotoCD if that format is supported by your DVD
    player.
    This means you could have the photos in high resolution on the disc and use
    it as an archive for those photos. A Kodak PhotoCD will display next photo
    in a slide show every time you click a button on the remote, or autoplay
    with a preset interval. Nero can make such a CD in manual mode using the
    Extra mode, or you need some different software to burn this. Just my 2
    cents.

    Rune Austefjord, Jan 1, 2004
  4. there are several ways to do this..bascially you want to make a V-CD
    (video CD)
    If you windows XP, you can download for free from microsoft Movie Make
    2. In this you can inport photos, add music or narration, and set teh
    times you want each pic to be on screen, and then it all gest saved as
    an mpeg (i think) on the cd. mpeg is what movies are (mp3 is a sound
    format from the mpeg group). There is a How-To article about this teh
    magazine CPU (computer power user, jany 04 issue, pg 94)
    http://www.computerpoweruser.com/ed...c01.asp&guid=ECF8C44C87CF41F69479CDA4AD90C47C

    Other software is out there too...
    NERO will do it, but no sound (that i can figure out)
    ULEAD (www.ulead.com) has a software package too, free demo can be
    downloaded.

    chris

    Chris P in PA, Jan 1, 2004
  5. Jim Mohundro

    Paul Guest

    go to www.dvdrhelp.com for lots of info.
    beware of using video editing packages to assemble the VCD as the
    resolution of the pics will be at the lower movie spec. A still picture
    VCD can be made with double the resolution (with the right software). I
    have used VCDEASY (now shareware: www.vcdeasy.org or com, cant remember
    which)

    Paul, Jan 1, 2004
  6. Jim Mohundro

    Ron Andrews Guest

    I doubt that Nero (or anything other than Kodak) software will support
    the PhotoCD format. The last time I checked, the PhotoCD authoring software
    was available from Kodak for $1500. I haven't found it anywhere else. If
    there is a reasonable cost option to produce PhotoCD's (compatible with a
    Kodak PhotoCD player), I'd like to know about it.

    Ron Andrews, Jan 1, 2004
  7. I use Paint Shop Phoito Album for this. It works well. You can try it free
    with a download from www. jasc.com.

    Marvin Margoshes, Jan 1, 2004
  8. Jim Mohundro

    Bill Guest

    I've spent tons of money trying to find an easy program that will display my
    photos without putting everyone to
    sleep and by far the best and easiest I've found so far is autoproducer from
    www.muvee.com I think the software
    was made to do videos with, but they've added the ability to stick photos in
    the mix and with their "Ken Burns" style
    transitions you will be amazed.

    Bill, Jan 1, 2004