Digital SLR Sensor Dust: I Do Believe I've Had Enough

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jc, Jun 3, 2005.

  1. jc

    jc Guest

    Just a couple of 'thoughts', having recently reignited my interest in
    photography, and bought a Nikon D70. Prior to purchase, one very great
    man advised me, no don't buy a whiz-bang 35mm film SLR, you'll never
    use it, think how many more photos you'll take with a digital; another
    great man pooh-pooh'ed digital, mainly focusing on the dangers of dust
    getting onto the sensor and subsequently ending up on every picture.
    Well, I changed lenses on my D70 a couple of times, and believe me I
    was careful. By the way, how does one faitfully follow the 'change
    lenses in a dust-free environment' advice? I do not have an Intel
    microprocessor lab handy. Anyway I soon found a heavily populated
    constellation of dust specks showing up on any photos I took which
    included any areas light enough to show them. And now I feel it's
    hardly worth taking any more photos if they're going to feature these
    ugly grey blobs. I rang Nikon prior to sending the camera in fo a CCD
    clean - yes I tried the absurdly named 'Hurricane Blower' to no, or
    little, avail - and they now charge £21 even under warranty. One of
    the killer features of the SLR system is the ability to change lenses.
    Once I get my D70 back, hopefully clean of dust, I can tell you I am
    NEVER changing lenses again. What I can't understand is why this
    problem is not more forcefully mentioned when the old film vs digital
    debate rages?

    jc, Jun 3, 2005

  2. jc

    jimkramer Guest

    <Drivel Snipped>

    Are you for real or did you try to change a lens in a sand box?

    jimkramer, Jun 3, 2005

  3. jc

    AK Guest

    A couple of tips that seems to work for me, besides avoiding changing lenses
    in dusty and/or windy areas:

    Try holding the camera with the lens pointing down before you change lenses
    so that the open cavity points down while you replace the lens. Also, remove
    the rear lenscap of the the new lens you want to install so that you can put
    it on immediately after removing the lens you've just finished using - the
    less time the body is open the less time there is for dust to enter.

    You will probably still get some dust, but very little, and I've found that
    a few puffs of a blower with the body cavity pointing down so the dust
    doesn;t just resettle on the sensor seems to work.

    For more drastic cleaning techniques, check the web - e.g.,

    http://www.visibledust.com/

    or

    http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/15473243

    The first time I had this problem I sent the camera in to Nikon - they did a
    great job, but it took six (6) weeks (!!) to get the camera back.

    Rgds

    Alan

    AK, Jun 3, 2005
  4. jc

    SamSez Guest

    snip
    Equipment has always had to be kept clean [as had negatives during the printing
    process]. And digital doesn't make it any easier. But it doesn't make it
    impossible to do it yourself.

    SamSez, Jun 3, 2005
  5. jc

    jc Guest

    Are you for real or did you try to change a lens in a sand box?

    Thanks for that. Does being 'for real' mean asking whether someone
    'being careful' means they changed the lens in a sand box? And do you
    mean did I change the lens in a sand box, or try to change the lens in
    a sand box? Ever been in a sand box? Maybe you're in a sand box right
    now? Guess what? I was not in a sand box, I did not try to change the
    lkens, I actually managed to change it. Sand box or no, I got dust on
    my sensor despite taking great care.

    What does that mean exactly? Are YOU for real? And you snipped MY
    'drivel'? How about you meet me in a sand box? Prick.

    jc, Jun 3, 2005
  6. jc

    jc Guest

    Thanks AK. Yes I always pointed the camera down when changeing lenses,
    and I did remove the lens cap of teh new lens first. I have the piss
    taken out of me constantly by friends and family for being a very
    careful sort, but I still managed to get a load of dust on the sensor
    (or the filter). I know there are swabbing methods but I really don't
    want to risk trying those - my hands aren't steady enough!

    jc, Jun 3, 2005
  7. jc

    Larry Guest

    Its not more forcefully mentioned because it isnt that great a problem.

    I hesitated for a full year switching to a dslr from a top of the line zlr
    because of "dust fear syndrom".

    After biting the bullet and making the switch, I think I've cleaned the
    sensor on my dslr twice since April 2nd or 3rd.

    I do a lot of shooting in a VERY dusty area (horse show ring) and Ive simply
    learned not to change lenses unless I NEED too, and when I do, I do it
    carefully.

    When I do clean it (if something shows up in the picture) I use an ear
    syringe to blow it out ($2) and a small eye make up brush that has been
    cleaned in boiling water several times before it firs use (gets the "sizing"
    out) I only use the brush if the blower leave something behind. (once since I
    bought the camera),

    Larry, Jun 3, 2005
  8. jc

    jimkramer Guest

    If in your Google dilapidated mind you looked at all of the recent posts
    about dirty sensors and tips/techniques for cleaning them you might not have
    bothered to post yet another newbie post whining about dust on my precious
    sensor.

    The world is filthy; there is dust everywhere. Learn how to clean it
    yourself. You are a big boy now. You want to spring for a plane ticket I'll
    meet you in your sand box. Watch your potty mouth sometimes kids read
    Usenet.

    Use your camera, change your lenses and clean your sensor when it needs it.
    It is not a big deal. Or better yet give that precious D70 to someone who
    will use it.

    There, do you feel better now?

    jimkramer, Jun 4, 2005
  9. jc

    Bill Hilton Guest

    jc asks ...
    Once you learn how to clean the sensor it's no big deal, only slightly
    more hassle than cleaning off the front of a lens.

    Bill Hilton, Jun 4, 2005
  10. SNIP
    Such is life. There is dust, pollen (the majority of all air-borne
    fine dust is organic material from the earth's crust), lint,
    pollution, in the air. Some places are worse than others. Deal with it
    by cleaning your sensor yourself, or pay someone to do it for you.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jun 4, 2005
  11. jc

    teflon Guest

    On 4/6/05 12:17 am, in article d7qoet$,

    (snipped)
    More to the point, do you - cos them's fighting words boy! Only trouble is,
    he didn't know where you were - whereas you know he's in the UK, so your
    pretty safe, eh? ...unless he springs for that ticket you wanker. ;]

    teflon, Jun 4, 2005
  12. I daresay that you have,by now, received your camera back from Nikon
    and yes, you will test it by taking a photo of a clear blue sky at f22
    (is that possible in the U.K. at this time of the year?) ,you will see
    dust spots are still there. Buy yourself a dust removal
    brush,somecleaning fluid and pec pads and do it yourself. It is
    simple and safe if you follow the procedure correctly. The initial
    supply should last twelve months so it is not expensive. It is no big
    issue so learn to live with it the same as the rest of us.
    eric phillips
    P.S. don't respond to rudeness ,these posters hate being ignored.

    eric phillips, Jun 4, 2005
  13. jc

    jimkramer Guest

    I'm in North Carolina, nothing to hide. Watch your language young man. I
    haven't been to the UK in 6 years and I could use a vacation, even if J.C.
    wants to try and hand me my teeth.

    jimkramer, Jun 4, 2005
  14. jc

    Frank ess Guest

    You two deserve each other, my view.

    Frank ess, Jun 4, 2005
  15. jc

    teflon Guest

    You still got any? Thing is, you liked dealing it out but got annoyed when
    it came back. He didn't make a threat, you did - and I can't stand cowards.

    teflon, Jun 4, 2005
  16. jc

    jimkramer Guest

    I suggest you read the thread again if that is the impression you got.

    "How about you meet me in a sand box? Prick." was his line not mine.

    jimkramer, Jun 4, 2005
  17. jc

    teflon Guest

    It wasn't a real threat. It was a play on words relating to children falling
    out. Anyone with intelligence could see that. It's just that you got nasty.

    teflon, Jun 4, 2005
  18. Find the "Pixel Sweeper" article at http://www.prime-junta.tk/ which is a
    great site in general.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jun 4, 2005
  19. jc

    MarkH Guest

    I have never had a warranty on any product which included the cleaning of
    the product.
    Maybe it is because the problem is not universal? I have had my Canon 10D
    for just over 2 years and have taken over 17000 photos. I have 4 lenses
    and change lenses as needed. A couple of times I have noticed dust spots
    on my photos and have used my 'Rocket Blower' to clean the dust of my
    sensor. I have looked at buying pec-pads and eclipse cleaning fluid, but
    have decided to wait till I need them.

    I don't know if the Nikon CCD sensor is any more likely to attract dust
    than Canon's CMOS sensor, but my experience has convinced me that D-SLR
    cameras are fantastic, I love mine.

    MarkH, Jun 4, 2005
  20. I'd had my Fuji S2 more than a year before I first noticed any
    dust. I've cleaned it twice since then; and I've now had it 2.5
    years.

    When there *is* visible dust, it's less than the dust spots I have to
    cope with on *every single* scanned film image I've ever worked with.
    It takes a couple of seconds to dispose of with the healing brush,
    whereas that takes 5 minutes or so in the easy cases, and sometimes
    hours if there's a real problem.

    I've made no special effort (compared to my 30+ years with film SLRs)
    to be "careful" changing lenses (but I thought of myself as "careful"
    with the film SLRs, compared to many photographers). I change lenses
    pretty frequently, especially since I don't have a zoom going wider
    than 28mm (real); my 24, 20, and 17mm lenses are individual primes.

    I wouldn't be surprised to discover that you take very different
    pictures from me. I *very* rarely have the lenses at small apertures,
    where the dust shows the most. I'm more likely to be shooting wide
    open. And I mostly don't shoot scenes with large bright evenly-lit
    areas, which show up dust better than dark or detailed areas.

    Anyway -- for me, this "dust" thing is a tempest in a teapot, a
    complete non-issue. I spend less time and energy dealing with dust in
    digital than I did with film-based images.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 4, 2005