    I swapped the bigger film lens to the digital camera and it seems to work
    fine, but the new lens won't attach to the old film-camera body.

    What am I missing? Do I need an adaptor?

    Rick Geyerman, Sep 23, 2006

  2. Rick Geyerman

    Scott W Guest

    The 18-55 lens will not work on either film cameras or full frame
    digitals.

    Scott

    Scott W, Sep 23, 2006

  3. Got it.

    Thanks, Scott.

    Rick Geyerman, Sep 23, 2006
  4. Rick Geyerman

    Paul Rubin Guest

    The EF-S lens is designed for the Rebel digital cameras and won't work
    on the film models. The Rebel digital sensor is smaller than a film
    frame, and that allows the EF-S lens to be smaller and less expensive.
    But that also makes it inherently incapable of covering a film frame
    or a larger sensor (like the EOS-1DS series). So there is no adapter.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 23, 2006
  5. Rick Geyerman

    just bob Guest

    The reason is it is an "EF-S" lens, and not EF

    just bob, Sep 23, 2006
  6. OK. Next question, if that's OK...

    I've read (here) about dust contamination on a digital camera's CMOS
    sensors. Is it a big issue to swap these lenses back and forth in a
    relatively quiet space? Or, are we talking *surgically clean.

    My pictures are mostly for home use, but I've published magazine photos and
    that was the purpose of my new purchase.

    Rick Geyerman, Sep 23, 2006
  7. Rick Geyerman

    Scott W Guest

    Dust is mostly an over rated problem, I rarely even think about it. I
    am swaping lenses all the time and have very little trouble.

    Pretty much the only problems you will run into is higher f numbers,
    like f/16 and
    even then it is normally not a big problem.

    And cleaning the sensor is not all that hard either.

    Scott

    Scott W, Sep 23, 2006
  8. Thanks again, Scott.

    Rick Geyerman, Sep 23, 2006