Digital Rebel image preview?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Matthew H., Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Matthew H.

    Matthew H. Guest

    One of the things I appreciate about my current digital camera (Fuji
    Finepix 6900) is that as soon as I take a picture, the image I just
    took shows up in the viewfinder and stays there for a couple of
    seconds. Since I'm shooting studio portraits using external flashes,
    I'm always in Full Manual mode, and the image preview is a great way
    for me to know if I got the exposure right. Since the camera gives me
    the option of seeing that preview through the viewfinder, I don't have
    to take the camera away from my face to look at the screen on the back
    of the camera. That's nice.

    So the question is, will the Digital Rebel allow me to review images
    through the viewfinder, or is the nature of a real digital SLR that
    the viewfinder is strictly TTL, and I'll have to rely on the screen on
    the back for image previews?

    Matthew

    ----------------------
    Erochron
    Intimate Portraiture
    http://www.erochron.com

    (Remove the "-NoCannedMeat-" from my e-mail address
    if you want to reply to me via e-mail.)

    Matthew H., Oct 27, 2003

  2. Matthew H.

    Gavin Cato Guest

    You can "review" the image. Not preview.

    Gavin Cato, Oct 27, 2003

  3. That's not what he asked: he asked if you can review _in the viewfinder_.
    The answer is no.

    It's the latter. There's no electronic display in the viewfinder, only
    optical.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 27, 2003
  4. Matthew H.

    Mustafa Krap Guest

    No, the viewfinder on the Fuji is electronic while the viewfinders on Dslrs
    is optical.

    Rob.

    Mustafa Krap, Oct 27, 2003
  5. Matthew H.

    Bill Guest

    If you decide not to get a Digital Rebel because you MUST have that
    feature, since you're already familiar with Fuji, I can tell you that my
    Fuji S602 allows both preview (2 sec. display after shot) and postview
    (display after shot until you confirm the save to media) either on the LCD
    or in the EVF. And now the S7000 has replaced it. Same options but twice the
    MP (6MP instead of 3MP).

    Bill

    Bill, Oct 27, 2003
  6. Matthew H.

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Your Fuji 6900 has an electronic viewfinder. It's just a tiny LCD behind the
    eyepiece that displays what the camera sees.. Except for the size, it does
    exactly the same thing as the larger LCD on the back.

    The Rebel on the other hand has a purely optical viewfinder. It uses mirrors
    to direct the light coming in lens up to the eyepiece. It's no different than
    a film camera.

    The only image review possible with the Rebel is on the large LCD on the back.

    The image appears there, but only *after* the shot is taken. When the camera
    is at rest, the mirror that reflects light up to the eyepiece is blocking the
    sensor so an electronic preview of the subject is not possible.

    Jim Townsend, Oct 27, 2003
  7. Matthew H.

    Bill Guest

    Jim,
    The term "preview" is kind of misleading with all the digital cameras I've
    iused so far.......2 Toshibas, a Fuji, a Nikon and an Olympus. They use it
    to mean a short display of the image *after* you have taken it. So they mean
    "preview" it while still in the recording mode.......instead of in the
    playback mode. Some cameras do a real preview, but I don't know which. And
    I'm not 100% sure if the Olympus C5050 had this same type of "preview". In
    any case, there is some confusion as to what each manufacturer means when
    they say "Preview". And then there's a "Postview" option, at least on my
    Fuji...which displays the last shot until you confirm save or delete. Yet
    another term!

    Bill

    Bill, Oct 27, 2003