digital printing on transparent plastic sheets

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Max_Venezia, Jan 22, 2004.

  1. Max_Venezia

    Max_Venezia Guest

    In your opinion which is the best way to print a digital image on a
    transparent plastic sheet?
    I want to illuminate the image from the back, in order to obtain a
    effect similar to a monitor.
    Thank you.
    Max_Venezia, Jan 22, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. In your opinion which is the best way to print a digital image on a
    The best way is to print on a semi-transparent foil - used in illuminated
    adverts [can't remember the English word]
    You can use a digital ploter - at least that's the way I do it. Then, apply
    the printed foil to the plastich sheet.

    tell me if you need more details

    -Piotr / Poland
    Piotr Archie P., Jan 22, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Max_Venezia

    Chris Quinn Guest

    Use an inkjet printer with OHP films - make sure you get the right type -
    not for laser printer or plain films
    Chris Quinn, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Just make sure you don't use a laser printer unless you've got transparencies
    made specifically for a laser printer, or you'll be in for a bad surprise.
    (They melt :)
    Ethan Trewhitt, Jan 22, 2004
  5. (Max_Venezia) wrote in
    You might be able to get the effect you want with a paper like
    Epson's "Matte Paper Heavyweight". After inadvertently placing a
    picture printed on this media on my light table, I noticed that
    light passed through easily and the image looked evenly illuminated.
    There aren't blotches in the image like you get with plain paper. It
    looks pretty good. I was thinking about making a large false window
    using this fact. I thought I could divide an image into A-Size
    pieces, assemble them together into a poster size image or bigger,
    and then cover the seams with wood strips, making it look like a
    window. Then, illuminated from behind, it would look like you were
    seeing out a window.

    Of course, the hard part would be evenly illuminating it from
    Tony Whitaker, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Max_Venezia

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 22 Jan 2004 04:36:51 -0800, in
    What type of printer? There are viewgraph and film media avaiable for
    most inkjets. And viewgraph media is common for lasers.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    Ed Ruf, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Max_Venezia

    Don Stauffer Guest

    If you have an inkjet, you can buy transparency foils (viewgraph foils)
    especially coated for inkjet. They work fine, but are more expensive
    than foils for laser and copier, and come in packages with a large
    number of foils. If you only need one or two, it may be cheaper to take
    paper printout to a shop with a good color copier and ask for a
    transparency. If you have a color laser, just buy regular viewgraph

    To help diffuse light illuminating foil, you can use tracing paper
    behind it. If you project with a transparency projector, the raw
    transparency is fine.
    Don Stauffer, Jan 22, 2004
  8. Max_Venezia

    MightyKitten Guest

    Yeah! They Realy do ;-D

    In 2002 I worked for a small company (Doing system administrating & trouble
    shooting for small businesses). I beleave it was a thusday afternoon, work
    was slow. A customer of mine phoned in panic: There was someting wrong with
    the Server or the network. Thwy couldn't print anymore.

    High Priority Costumer, High Priority call, so I finnished my Coke and drove
    straight to the party (eh.. we called the lacation we had to be a party if
    it sounded like it could take a while before we were finished there.)
    After an hour's drive I got there, and I was welcomed by the boss and the
    Head of IT.

    They told me there must be something wrong with the server or the network,
    as 2 printers were not functioning anymore. They had been printing bulk, but
    they often did this.

    Ariving on the crime scene, a faint smell of plactic was welcomming me. Both
    printers (HP laserjets) wher blinking as the were christmas lights. After I
    opened the cover, it became realy clear for me. They had been bulk printing
    overhead sheets... Inkjet Sheets!

    I asked for the boxex with the sheets, and indeed: all of them were inkjets.
    Because the printer was not used for a long time before they started, the
    first couple of sheets, thoug very curved, were presentable (They flatened
    these sheets in a heavy book.) After a while, however, the printer became
    so hot that the sheets were melting onto the paperrolls.

    They had a little break of luck thoug: It was the time HP was giving the
    second printer away for free (or something like that). Since we were able to
    buy them even a bit cheaper, we offerd them to replace the printers at cost
    price... (Well they were a large account, so it realy dit pay off to do

    Yes Transparent sheets bings back dear memories... ;-)
    MightyKitten, Jan 22, 2004
  9. Max_Venezia

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 22, 2004
  10. Max_Venezia

    Fix-it-man Guest

    Overhead projector transparencies for inkjet printers can be purchased at
    most office supply stores for about 25 cents each for 8x10.
    Fix-it-man, Jan 22, 2004
  11. Max_Venezia


    Aug 26, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Question for everybody

    I need to print a picture of very light colored flowers on transparent paper. I need it to be as big as possible maybe even up to 4 feet by 4 feet. This is not for having a light source in back of the paper, it needs to be as transparent as possible so if you were to put it against a wall you could still see the image. Basically I need to print very large photo slides but with clear plastic instead of the normal dark plastic and with as many dots per inch as possible.
    -Thanks so much
    floatingpepsi, Aug 26, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.