  1. Ivan

    Ivan Guest

    Has anyone built a digital pinhole camera in their workshop yet?

    Ivan, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Why? You'd get nothing but blur.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Ivan

    dslr Guest

    Rubbish.
    If that were true, no pinhole camera would work - but they do.
    There's at least one company in the UK supplying pinhole body caps for
    DSLRs.

    dslr, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Veijo Timonen, Jun 6, 2004
  5. Ivan

    Lionel Guest

    I tried drilling a hole in the body cap for my 10D. It worked, but not
    very well. Most likely because I did a pretty untidy job on the hole, &
    didn't make any effort to centre it accurately.

    Lionel, Jun 6, 2004
  6. Ivan

    Chris Brown Guest

    Chris Brown, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Ivan

    Martin Brown Guest

    It is one of the quick and dirty ways of testing astronomical CCD
    cameras in daytime. No need to mess about with extension tubes or
    focussing.

    The diffraction effects and geometric blur are absolutely horrific.

    Pinhole cameras work OK with 10x8 sheet film - they are pretty dire
    quality on a tiny CCD.

    Regards,

    Martin Brown, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Not centered would give you the same effect as a shift in a view camera
    or a PC SLR lens. ;-)

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 6, 2004
  9. Ivan

    Paul W. Ross Guest

    Could you give us more technical details -- diameter of pinhole,
    exposure, ISO setting of camera? THANKS! I have a Bender Photographic
    4x5 Pinhole camera which is a lot of fun. I'd like to try this on my
    Olympus C-5000. I can go up to 16 seconds exposure. Making a pinhole
    is not hard. I use aluminum pie plate stock and a tapestry needle, and
    1200 grit sandpaper to sand the "dimple" flat.

    Paul W. Ross, Jun 6, 2004
  10. Ivan

    Chris Brown Guest

    Don't know about the diameter of the pinhole - I made it by poking a needle
    through aluminium foil. The exposure was 6 seconds at ISO 100. levels
    adjusted in Photoshop.

    Chris Brown, Jun 6, 2004
  11. Nope. I just put a pinhole body cap on my Fuji S2.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 6, 2004
  12. David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 6, 2004
  13. Ivan

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    If you have a DSLR, you simply purchase an extra body-cap and do what
    you want with it. You can make a tiny hole in it, or make a larger hole
    and tape something else with a hole over it. You can use extension
    tubes, too, for higher magnifications.

    JPS, Jun 6, 2004
  14. Ivan

    jriegle Guest

    Funny you should mention this. I've been thinking this weekend about getting
    a Canon body cap, drilling a 1/4 inch hole in it, taping a piece of aluminum
    foil over the hole and pricking a hole in it.

    I was thinking it would never work too well because it would be too blurry,
    but as I see, others have done quite well with it.
    John

    jriegle, Jun 6, 2004
  15. Ivan

    JeffS Guest

    Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet ... www.pinholeresource.com .
    Some examples and techniques can be found in 'Real World Digital
    Photography, 2nd Edition' by Eismann, Duggan, and Grey. Its a fairly
    recent publish (2004) by Peachpit Press. I find the book a great general
    resource for digital photography. Got mine from Book Bug Books (an
    Amazon affiliate).

    Jeff

    JeffS, Jun 7, 2004
  16. The www.pinholeresource.com site looks very interesting. I was
    inspired to dig out my prized "Ilford Manual of Photography" (1958).
    It is indicated there that some of the lack of success that people
    have can be caused by diffraction. It is rather important to make a
    clean edged hole and smooth out any "chads" (g). Another thing about
    diffraction is that there is an optimum hole size for a given focal
    length. Above and below this value the picture will be less sharp. For
    the record, the Ilford Manual says that the optimum pinhole diameter
    is 1/125th of the square root of the distance in inches from the
    pinhole to the detector.

    James Silverton, Jun 11, 2004
  17. Ivan

    Don Stauffer Guest

    There are a number of small video cameras sold with pinhole lenses. If
    the output of one of these is digitized, it is a digital pinhole
    camera. These are not great resolution as modern digicams go, about 480
    lines resolution, but they still have utility.

    Don Stauffer, Jun 12, 2004