digital photos on PC monitor too dark

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BobAtVandy, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. BobAtVandy

    BobAtVandy Guest

    (Warning: I'm PC-proficient, but new to handling digital images.)

    I recently bought a Canon A75 digital camera. I'm very happy with it, but
    the photos that are displayed on my monitor are too dark. The images
    displayed on the camera's LCD screen are great -- very true color, and very
    good brightness.

    When I download the .jpg photos to my PC and display them they appear too
    dark. I have a Samsung Syncmaster 700. I'm very happy with it and it has
    plenty of brightness displaying other things. [If I just adjust monitor
    brightness, everything brightens (not just the photos -- obviously), which
    is not what I want. Also, doing so does not reveal more photo details, as
    does happen if I use software to increase the brightness of a photo.]

    If on my PC I 'manually' increase the brightness of any given photo I can
    make the photo look fairly close to what the camera shows on its screen.
    It's pretty consistent that if I increase any photo's brightness by +12 (on
    a -50 to +50 scale) it approximates what I see on the camera's LCD. I don't
    want to permanently edit the brightness on each photo as I suspect the
    original .jpg is pretty true, and I want it to remain original should I
    switch to another PC in the future.

    -- What is the cause of the photos appearing too dark when displayed on my
    PC?
    -- Is there a setting (registry?) that would adjust the brightness by which
    these images are displayed?
    -- Does 'Color Management' come into play here? (If so, is there a way I
    can get/acquire or build an .icm that would resolve this?)

    BobAtVandy, Oct 11, 2004

  2. BobAtVandy

    macro Guest

    Absent a two monitor setup, you really need to choose between seeing images as
    they really are or optimizing your monitor for everyday use. There's not much
    of a middle ground. It's also an open question how accurate any camera lcd is.

    This link was posted recently, which might be of interest to some:
    http://purfectimage.home.mchsi.com/calibrate.htm. Not too useful for an A75
    owner though.

    macro, Oct 11, 2004

  3. BobAtVandy

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    My camera (Sony F828) LCD screen will display photos quite well in terms of
    brightness but some of the actual photos are fairly dark. Those were taken
    indoors without flash. The camera LCD seems to compensate for the dark
    images where the computer monitor shows them are they really are.

    Ed Mullikin, Oct 11, 2004
  4. probably some video card based gamma correction value that gets loaded
    on boot-up, could be in the sysini or thereabouts.

    Justín Käse, Oct 11, 2004
  5. Try calibrating your monitor:

    http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 11, 2004
  6. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 955DF, and my digital photos look great on it.
    I spent time with the software that came with the monitor to set it up for
    good results. Then I set up my printer to give prints that are close to
    what I see on the monitor.

    You might start by just adjusting the brightness setting on your monitor.

    Marvin Margoshes, Oct 11, 2004