    blown up...if they maintain their sharpness as if printed at 4X6" or if
    they start to look softer?

    Thank you all!

    Progressiveabsolution, Sep 3, 2006

  2. Progressiveabsolution

    Jim Guest

    The number of pixels does not change when you do this. Hence they look
    worse when enlarged that they do in a smaller size.

    Jim

    Jim, Sep 3, 2006

  3. That makes sense Jim. What about with film photos. Would the same be
    applicable? In other words, if one downloads a 500kb film based image
    and then enlarges it, would it look softer as well?

    I cannot seem to understand why, say, an 8MP image that was shot at raw
    and post processed, then made into a 500kb image for net viewing would
    lose the initial file size of say 3000X2000 (not sure what it is at
    8MP...just a rough guess). Then you take film scanned at the same
    3000X2000 size, and resize it to 500kb jpg...would both of these images
    show the similar softness when they are enlarged?

    Thanks Jim!

    Progressiveabsolution, Sep 4, 2006
  4. Progressiveabsolution

    Roy G Guest

    Hi.

    The original owner will have a full size version, which he will be able to
    enlarge, but he has only put a small copy on the web.

    They are not meant to be enlarged, just in case some clown might try to
    steal them.

    It does not matter whether they are scanned from Film, or out of a Digicam.
    The owner has sized them down to probably no more than 600 x 400 pixels,
    which if you try to print will give you a 2 inch long print.

    Zooming your screen will NOT change the number of pixels in the image.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Sep 4, 2006
  5. Here's an example of what I am referring to. Please click the larger
    size icon on the left corner above image:

    http://flickr.com/photos/tb303/163558047/

    In this next example which is quite different but has a kid in it, if
    you click on the image to enlarge it, it will become clearer...almost
    like a reverse process compared to the example above:

    http://contaxg.com/document.php?id=14502

    Another from flickr.com just so there is similar sourcing:

    http://flickr.com/photos/petit_ming/172360212/

    Again, click on the left corner to enlarge.

    Progressiveabsolution, Sep 4, 2006