    ones taken with a digital camera.

    Am I alone in this feeling, or have you noticed this too?

    ->HS

    H. S., Nov 6, 2003

  2. H. S.

    Alan Browne Guest

    Scanned film images reveal the grain of the film. In this way they are
    certainly different from digital. DOF is the same for the same FL,
    distance and aperture. Contrast varries accross a variety of films.
    Digital sensors have inherent advantages including lower noise at higher
    ISO... yes they are different ... and so what?
    I've seen many digital images that look enticing and warm. Seen a lot
    of crappy digital images too. It ain't the equipment...
    Well done digital images are difficult to tell from well done film
    images, esp. on the screen (unless the image is many times larger than
    the screen). A large print will show artifacts that are clearly digital.

    IAC, there is no real need for digital to look exactly like film.
    Digital will eventually cover 99% of our images and we will be happy
    with the high quality delivered ... we won't get too warm and fuzzy over
    film except for some particular uses. Time...

    Alan Browne, Nov 6, 2003

  3. H. S.

    Jim Davis Guest

    I think the difference is scanned images tend to have lousy unreal
    colours while digital images have incredible tonal ranges and ultra
    realistic colours. I might add, without frigging around with the
    images either.

    Images tend to feel more personal after you spent an hour scanning,
    cleaning and adjusting them just so...

    Jim Davis, Nov 7, 2003
  4. H. S.

    Don Stauffer Guest

    The ONLY difference is in the header of some file formats that can
    identify the source. As far as the editing software is concerned, a
    JPEG file is a JPEG file, a TIFF file is a TIFF file, etc. There is NO
    difference as far as the computer or printer is concerned.

    A scanned print will tend to have less dynamic range than a digicam
    image or one scanned with a film scanner, depending on exactly how you
    define dynamic range.

    Don Stauffer, Nov 7, 2003
  5. H. S.

    Rafe B. Guest

    It's the absence of grain that makes digicam images a
    bit unreal and unfamiliar. Way easy to fix in Photoshop --
    sprinkle in just a tad of gaussian noise, if you're so inclined.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Nov 8, 2003
  6. H. S.

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    You probably want to upsample the image quite a bit before doing this.

    Photoshop has an actual "film grain" filter, and again, I would severely
    upsample the image before applying it, so it has the texture you want,
    but maintains most of the detail.

    JPS, Nov 8, 2003
  7. H. S.

    Rafe B. Guest

    I don't propose this as something terribly useful, and it's
    not something I do with my own images or prints. But I have
    noticed that the addition of noise to an otherwise "noiseless"
    digital capture has a startling and dramatic effect, and goes
    a long way toward making the image feel "more like film."

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Nov 8, 2003
  8. H. S.

    Flycaster Guest

    The upsampling helps some, but as is the case with most of the Adobe
    "artistic" plug-ins, "film grain" is pretty funky. Noise-gaussian is also a
    bit weird...I don't care too much for how it color fringes, if that's the
    right term. Gimmicks, imo.

    Flycaster, Nov 8, 2003
  9. H. S.

    Jim Davis Guest

    Yuck!

    Jim Davis, Nov 8, 2003
  10. H. S.

    Don Stauffer Guest

    I think this film grain problem is being emphasized too much. If you are
    using decent film, and only sampling to about 3 to 5 megasamples per
    image, the grain should not be intrusive at all. I use a print scanner,
    and even at 10 megasamples grain is not a problem for ISO 200 film.

    Don Stauffer, Nov 8, 2003
  11. H. S.

    W6DKN Guest

    See http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/d30/d30_vs_film.shtml