    As you guys know it is extremely time
    consuming removing all of this stuff manually with photoshop etc.

    thanks

    Sniper, Mar 8, 2007

  2. None that I know of. Alas. A new kind of technology would need to be
    developed as infrared won't do the job on B&W.
    Agreed. It's the one part of semi-digital B&W photography that I do
    not like.

    Toni Nikkanen, Mar 8, 2007

  3. The digital ice trick requires that the film be transarent to IR, and silver
    isn't. Sigh. Polaroid used to have a free dust and scratch removal Photoshop
    plugin that some people liked. Epson has made some scanners that use a
    reflective dust detecting system, but they're poor scanners compared to the
    Nikon 5000.

    You could try shooting the "chromogenic" films. Lots of people like Ilford
    XP2 Super, and Kodak used to make a couple. These are color negative
    materials that don't do color. (Some people claim that these are "completely
    grain free", which I found to be an enormous lie. YMMV. (They need to be
    overexposed somewhat, apparently, but I never got around to trying that.))

    You could also just shoot color film and desaturate in Photoshop. I've seen
    some gorgeous B&W work done this way with Provia 100F (a slide film, as you
    probably know, but a slide film with surprisingly good highlight retention.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Mar 8, 2007
  4. Sniper

    Paul Rubin Guest

    I think most people who ask about scanning on this newsgroup these
    days probably have a bunch of old negs they want to scan. Unless they
    say otherwise I'd assume they're not shooting any type of film any more.

    Paul Rubin, Mar 8, 2007
  5. Sniper

    Sniper Guest

    Yes, I have a whole load of old archive black and white negs which
    I need to digitize. While the colour was easy to do, the black and
    whites take ages as alot of the black and white film is very scuffed
    up.

    Oh well, nevermind.

    thanks for the replies

    Sniper, Mar 8, 2007
  6. Here's the Polaroid dust and scratch removal tool.

    http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/poladsr.html

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Mar 8, 2007
  7. Sniper

    tomm42 Guest

    The Polaroid Dust and Scratch works at a slight expense of sharpness.
    For a scanner try the Epson V700, not quite the LS5000 but getting
    closer. The Pro Section of the software has Epson's dust removal tool,
    I've been doing color slides so I have been using Digital Ice. If the
    Epson version works on reflected light it may be the answer. Have a
    V700 sitting next to me but no B&W negs, they are at home.

    Tom

    tomm42, Mar 8, 2007
  8. In my very limited experience, Epson Scan's own dust removal softens
    the image quite a bit. The one in Silverfast is more interactive and
    gives you a better impression of what is getting removed from the
    image, but it's still tedious.

    Toni Nikkanen, Mar 8, 2007
  9. But the V700 ICE is IR-based, and thus has the same problem as the Nikon
    5000, namely they don't work with B&W. In a scanner that's not as good. (The
    OP already owns a 5000.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Mar 8, 2007
  10. I am talking about the Dust Removal feature in Epson Scan
    software. There are two dust removal systems in Epson Scan, one is ICE
    and the other is Epson's own software-only feature that works equally
    (badly) on all material.
    Silverfast also has a software-only dust removal feature (along with ICE)
    that gives more control.

    Toni Nikkanen, Mar 8, 2007
  11. Ah. Sorry. That makes sense. Epson didn't have that back in the 2400 days...
    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Mar 8, 2007
  12. Sniper

    Paul J Gans Guest

    I would think that since there is no "digital ice" solution,
    the most important thing is to get the B&W stuff scanned before
    it gets even more scuffed up.

    Paul J Gans, Mar 8, 2007
  13. Sniper

    Photo Dave Guest

    Sorry to jump in here, but is there any site with better explanations
    about the software that comes with the scanner? I have the Nikon
    CoolScan V ED, which is close to the 5000 the OP has. It does a great
    job with the old slides I have (some over 40 years old), but I don't
    think I'm getting everything out that I could. I assume it's best to
    get as much out of the slide first before Photoshopping (really,
    Elements-ing) afterwards. I've tried to read the manual that came with
    the thing, but boy, it assumes a HIGH level of digital competence.
    Thanks, and again, I'm only leaping in here because the OP has a
    similar scanner to mine. (I didn't even know that the ICE worked
    because of IR...)
    David

    Photo Dave, Mar 8, 2007