    how about one just spot metering at the area that is close to middle
    gray? Does any of you have experiences with doing that? Thanks!

    SS

    S. S., Jun 23, 2004

  2. S. S.

    Chris Brown Guest

    Spot meter on the highlights and use +2 stops exposure compensation. Without
    the compensation, you're essentially pushing your sensor by two stops,
    something digital sensors are really bad at.
    That would work, but you risk blowing the highlights. The reason for
    metering off the highlights, with exposure compensation, with digital is the
    same as for doing it with slides - neither handle overexposure well.

    With the Canon DSLRs, you can generally get away with +3 stops on the
    brightest highlights (and RAW mode), but with the G3 you may want to leave
    it at +2.

    Chris Brown, Jun 23, 2004

  3. S. S.

    MikeS Guest

    Is this the same a compensation for snow scenes increasing exposure or
    under exposing for coal(dark) scenes because the exposure meter is trying to
    render all to 18% grey scale. as Ive been underexposing by 1 stop to prevent
    highlight blow outs and have got very underexposed shots on my D70.
    MikeS

    MikeS, Jun 23, 2004
  4. I thought the whole point of spot metering is that you could make
    multiple readings and thus gather more information about the scene.
    For example, you can meter the brightest area you care about
    reproducing plus the deepest shadow you want to hold detail, and get an
    idea whether it's even possible to get both in the same image. If not,
    you can decide to expose for shadow detail or highlight detail, or any
    other exposure in between.

    If you're only going to make one reading off a grey card, why not just
    use an incident meter, or the camera's built-in meter in averaging mode?

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jun 24, 2004