    which is why I'm trying to avoid the interchangeable lenses.

    Any suggestions?

    TIA - R.

    R., Mar 30, 2005

  2. R.

    Scott W Guest

    I have not kept up with non DSLR digital cameras so I can't give any
    camreas to look at, but I would look at getting a lens with more range
    then 35/105 equivalent. That is just about the range my Nikon 995 had,
    one of the reasons I get the Sony F828 was the larger zoom range, 28 to
    200 equivalent. There are now a fair number of camera that have this
    range.

    Scott

    Scott W, Mar 30, 2005

  3. R.

    meow Guest

    meow, Mar 30, 2005
  4. R.

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Check the Kodak DX7590. Much nicer lens.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 30, 2005
  5. How about a Canon 20D. The kit lens is a very nice inexpensive 28-88
    equivalent and your 35-105 should also work giving you a something
    equivalent to about 55 - 170.

    Shutter lag is almost 0. It has a real SLR viewfinder.

    Joseph Meehan, Mar 30, 2005
  6. "That is just about the range my Nikon 995 had,
    one of the reasons I get the Sony F828 was the larger zoom range, 28 to

    200 equivalent. There are now a fair number of camera that have this "

    is that optical or optical+digital zoom?

    Mr.Bolshoy Huy, Mar 30, 2005
  7. R.

    Ron Recer Guest

    Check out the Canon G6, although it may be a little over you budget. You
    might also check out the following:

    http://digitalcamerashortlist.com/

    It gives a short list (with features) of what they consider the best digital
    cameras as well as a list of cameras to avoid and why.

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Mar 31, 2005
  8. R.

    Matt Ion Guest

    Why not look at a Digital Rebel? It's a bit over your budget, but
    considering the "kit" version with the 18-55mm lens goes for under
    CDN$1000 now, and the body-only package can be had for around
    $800-$850... less if you can find it used, or find a store that's
    unloading them because the new RebelXT is out, it may be worth scraping
    together a few extra pennies.

    You'll find it looks and feels very much like your film Rebel, basic
    functions work the same (shutter, aperture, focus point selection,
    etc.), and you can use your existing Rebel's lens(es) and any other
    accessories with it as well (flash, filters, etc.). If you bought the
    kit version of the film Rebel with the 28-80mm or 28-90mm lens, that
    lens will give the equivalent view/magnification to a 40-120mm or
    40-135mm when used on the digital camera.

    Matt Ion, Mar 31, 2005
  9. See:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/

    David J Taylor, Mar 31, 2005
  10. R.

    Lin Chung Guest

    Not an equivalent of Rebel obviously, nevertheless, it is well regarded in
    reviews; it satisfies your other criterion:

    Ricoh Caplio R1v/Rollei dr5 (The Rollei has an additional video clip
    format, QuickTime Motion, and in 640 x 480 pixels)

    Lin Chung, Mar 31, 2005