Digital Camera buying experience / waste of time / rip off - AVOID those CROOKS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gonzo Granello, May 19, 2004.

  1. All,

    maybe somebody can save some time this way and spare the aggrevation I
    had to go true.... Here is the story: After finally making up my mind
    to buy a Sony DSC-F828, I went shopping on the NET. Looking not for
    the cheapest rather than if they had the Camera in stock I ordered
    from "radioactivedeals.com". Should have known better, well 2 days
    later the usual "call back for verification" nonsense email. Why
    nonsense? Well if THEY wanted to verify me telling the truth about my
    CC and Phone # they should call me - right? You can most likley guess
    what followed, 15 min hold, sales BS, overpriced accessories, extended
    warranty etc. - finally the sales dude (Chris X 104 - and rather rude)
    closed with a "enjoy yur camera" - of course in stock and will ship
    like tomorrow. Hey, unbelivable, success - so I thought. 3 Minutes
    later an email arrives with a "Camera is on Backorder - 6-8 weeks -
    but you can cancel here", so much for success... Called the manager
    about this lying sack of something Chris, got a bunch of BS that's it.
    AND I did not even get massive, I was in a good mood for some reason.
    OK. so what, order somwhere else. Royal Video and Camera looked
    somewhat serious, Yahoo store and claimed, guess what, Cam in stock.
    Order, 2 days, same Message, same BS just even bigger - like: this
    price is for a non-us model, no battery and no charger included, no
    warranty?? and so on. The Moron taking all my stuff (CC) again and
    then places the Bomb, 6-8 weeks. My question why they say its in stock
    was brushed off with the website says it Available, which indeed it is
    but we never claim in stock. BULLSHIT, even today it says in Stock.
    But i could almost gurantee that if you order the totally overpriced
    accessories - mind you the battery and the charger - the cam would
    ship most likley tomorrow. Bottom line, wasted 2 weeks, no camera and
    the worst: a bunch of crooks in NY having all my CC info. Im Pissed
    off. Why is it that those Bozos in NY always pulling those Scams?
    Aarrrggghhh. Somebody ought to do something about this, I will
    complain to Yahoo and the NY attorney general - as example Royal Vid
    and CAm does not have their address on their website which is a
    misderminor in NY as well as false advertisment. Anyway, comments
    apprechiated as well as recommendations

    GG

    Gonzo Granello, May 19, 2004

  2. Gonzo Granello

    m Ransley Guest

    Call you cc co to be sure you are not billed. There is a site that has
    reviews on stores, alot of them only get 1 star but desereve Zero. Your
    story is common among the cheapest stores. Bait and switch.

    m Ransley, May 19, 2004

  3. Gonzo Granello

    Tripod Guest

    Sorry for your grief, but did you do any research on the company beforehand?
    This would have warned me off immediately:

    There are only about two camera dealers in NYC that you can deal with.

    Good luck anyway.

    Tripod, May 19, 2004
  4. Gonzo Granello

    eawckyegcy Guest

    The name alone should be a big enough hint if you ask me.

    eawckyegcy, May 19, 2004
  5. Gonzo Granello

    Dave Guest

    Obviously you thought that buying from a completely unknown vendor was
    the best approach. Why is that? You have all sorts of energy now, so
    why didn't you have the energy to research the vendor before the
    purchase? I'm just asking.

    Dave, May 19, 2004
  6. Gonzo Granello

    denomolos Guest

    Well, you just found out the hard way what most of us here already know.
    Any of the online camera dealers showing the "too good to be true" prices
    are just that - too good to be true.

    There are some reputable online camera sellers based in NY though. Try
    Etronics.com for one.

    denomolos, May 20, 2004
  7. Gonzo Granello

    Bob Fallona Guest

    Agreed first stop for any online purchase is Resellerratings.com best site
    on the net. Check with them and then order from someone good like Newegg.

    Bob Fallona, May 20, 2004
  8. Yup, did that. they where not that stupid to do it right away. I just
    hope they dont "slide" in one later since they have all the info.
    Those guy's are real crooks and it is too bad that no one can hold
    those bozos responsible for what they doing. that is exactley what
    gives e-commerce a bad name. The rating systems are another issue,
    like the whole country, it is politiclly correct. Maybe somebody makes
    a rating website one day that offers only a couple of choices to begin
    with and most important negative points like ebay does. They are (in
    that regard) a good example: negative, neutral and positive. And of
    course the negatives get taken off the positive count, therefore the
    picture becomes somewhat more real....

    GG

    Gonzo Granello, May 21, 2004